TWELVE| when gasoline meets fire

I shifted uncomfortably as I looked at myself in the mirror. I was wearing my new cadet uniform which consisted of black skinny jeans, black combat boots, and a black jacket with the Ark's symbol on the back. I zipped up the jacket and pulled my hair up into a tight ponytail. It was my first day as an official cadet, and I was a bundle of nerves. 

Commander Duke had met with me to hand over my uniform and explain how the training would go. Mondays  Wednesdays and Fridays were physical training. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I would be put on some kind of guard duty with a few other cadets and a commanding officer at a certain place on the Ark.

He told me that guard training was very demanding and competitive. There would be boys twice my size that I would have to prove myself to, but I wasn't too worried about that part.

The last thing I put on was my black pearl necklace. I gripped tight to it for a few moments wondering what my mom would say to me if she was there for my first day as a cadet.

My eyes wandered down to the watch on my wrist. Training started in fifteen minutes, and it took ten minutes to get to the training room from the apartment. I quickly grabbed my bag as I walked out of my room to find that my dad had left early for another emergency Council meeting. They were having a lot of those recently.

Every time I asked him about it, my dad would shrug me off and change the subject. I knew something very serious was going on. Maybe even something dangerous. Bellamy had told me in one of our training sessions that people in Factory Station were fed up with being mistreated. They were discussing riots and all sorts of ways to improve their situations.

I shook off the thoughts as I arrived at the training center. When I stepped through the door, a group of cadets was all gathered in the middle of the room joking around and laughing. Commander Duke told me that there were seven other cadets. I was one of only two girls.

All six guys were in the group towards the center of the room where all the sparing mats were located. Bellamy was one of them, and my pulse began to race as the memories from two days ago washed into my mind. The feeling of his lips against mine; his hands on my skin.

My stomach churned with anxiety at the idea of facing him. I had no idea what the kiss meant to him besides just making out in a janitor's closet.

I wasn't even paying attention to the two guys approaching me. I didn't even know they were standing in front of me until one of them spoke up.

"When they said we were getting a new cadet I didn't expect the newbie to be so..."

"Hot?"

My head snapped over to the two voices. I glanced over the two guys who looked to be nineteen or twenty. My eyes fell to their metal nametags: Walker and Dallas.

Cadet Walker's blue eyes taunted me. His brown hair was in desperate need of a trim, "How did you get the training spot? I expected it to be Miller."

I didn't even flinch, "So did Miller. Until I knocked him on his ass."

Dallas chuckled, "I think you'll fit in fine here, Winters. Maybe you'll knock some sense into these crazy idiots."

Dallas seemed like an ok guy. His ass hats friend, however...Not so much.

"These clowns aren't bothering you are they?" Well crap. So much for trying to avoid him.

Slowly, my eyes shifted over to Bellamy. As soon as our eyes met, my heartbeat picked up. For some odd reason, he looked extra attractive in his uniform. Damn him.

"We were just getting to know the new cadet," Walker replied as he gave Bellamy a friendly slap on the chest. "Careful man. She's as feisty as she looks."