In which I Fall in Love with a Jackal Headed God

Comincia dall'inizio

Bast put her head in her hands. "I can't watch."

Anubis laughed slightly and grasped the ball of light, cupping it in his hands and bringing it to his face. He whispered something, and suddenly, the light spread outward and enveloped him completely, getting bigger and bigger. In a moment, it flashed outward and expanded about the whole room, passing through me and everyone else, then fading just as suddenly.

No one else seemed affected by it, but as soon as the light touched me, I felt a sudden warmth inside me that flared up and flickered quickly as Anubis glanced at me, meeting my gaze with his soft brown ones. I blinked, staring at him. Had he just gotten even more handsome than before?

Ahk gripped my hand tighter. I hadn't realized he was even holding it. But somehow, it didn't affect me in the same way as it had before. Why had I cared so much about Ahk before?

I couldn't remember.

Anubis stepped towards me hesitantly, and Ahk stiffened. Nathaniel did too, though almost imperceptibly.

Anubis had reached me now. "Emily." His voice was low. The way he said my name made me catch my breath. I was transfixed by his captivating, dark eyes.

"Y-yes?" I replied nervously.

He bent over my hand, the one Ahk wasn't holding, and kissed it gently. A shiver ran through me. Then he took that hand lightly and drew me away. I let go of Ahk as he tugged me closer to him. "I must speak with you."

"Um." Why wasn't my brain working? "Okay."

Ahk tensed. "Emily-"

Anubis shot him a long look.

Ahk stopped, looking shaken.

"Come with me." Anubis whispered, tugging at my hand. I went willingly, trying to clear my head. It felt thick and fuzzy. What was going on?

He led me into an empty room and left the door ajar, sitting me down beside him on a bench by the wall.

"What do you need to talk to me about?" I asked. I wondered if maybe he'd kiss me. Then I wondered why I'd wondered that.

Anubis was staring at me. His eyes were sorrowful. "Six months." he whispered. "Such a short time to have mourned a loved one."

Shock filled me. I turned to stare at him. "How did you..."

"I'm the god of death, remember?" His expression didn't change. "I could feel the aura of a recent death hanging above you like a dark storm cloud. So dark. So cold..."

Tears filled my eyes, and he touched my cheek softly. "I can see your pain. I can feel it... as if it were mine as well. Don't lose hope."

I drew in a deep, shaky breath. A single tear rolled down my cheek.

"Do you know what else I can see?" he asked softly.

I shook my head.

"I can see the light in your soul." he whispered. "You have a beautiful soul, Emily. I can see it. As the god of death, I can look at someone and see the goodness, the darkness inside them. All of it. And never have I seen a soul filled with such light and kindness... as yours."

"Really?" I asked. He nodded, staring at me.

Then he scooted closer, leaning in slowly and bringing his hand up gently to cup my face. I stayed completely still, unable to breathe. My heart pounded loudly.

Anubis came in even closer, brushing against my cheek with the back of his hand. His breath was soft against my face, and I closed my eyes, ready for him to kiss me.