sixteen - winnie

"Dolly...? Baby, is everything okay?"

I nodded, tears staining my cheeks as I weep to myself. My back up against the tree trunk in our backyard.

Mickey had arrived at the porch with a bouquet of red roses and sunflowers. My "father" told him I was in the backyard. I could hear, as well as see for myself, the concern in his eyes when he asked me if I was alright.

"Please don't worry about me." I muttered.

"You gotta tell me what's wrong, dollface." Mickey sighed, plopping himself next to me. "It hurts to see you like this."

With my head buried in my legs folded into my chest, I didn't look up when I felt an arm wrap around my shoulders as I was pulled into Mickey's embrace. I unfurled at his touch and sat myself in his lap, my arms wrapped around his neck and my face nestled in the collar of his button-up.

My fingers tangled themselves in his soft, luscious hair as I felt him lightly moan.

"You know that no one else makes me feel happy, the way you do." Mickey chuckled, softly pecking a kiss on my forehead after pushing aside some of my hair. "I'm always thinking of you, and if I don't ask what's wrong, it'll bother me for the rest of the week."

I faintly smiled. I found his free hand, as the other played with my hair, and brought it to my lips.

"I found out that my friends have been gossiping about me since September."

"I never liked them in the first place. I knew there was something off about those shitheads." Mickey growled.

I inhaled sharply, jumping back a bit to look Mickey directly in the eye.

"Did you just curse?"

"What if I did?" He smirked. "Does that turn you on?"

I grinned back at him. "It does make you sound more attractive."

"Well, fuck those shit-eating cunts in their hairy asses."

"Uhhhh... too far." I giggled. Mickey apologized.

"Who needs those girls anyway? You have my friends to hang out with." Mickey smiled. ".... plus, you've got me."

He cupped my face and pulled me closer to him, so much so that I could feel his breath on my lips.

"I want you to know that you will always have me. Even when we're old together and living in an old folks home, I swear to be with you for as long as we both shall live."

I smiled. Our foreheads touched as we remained in that position, which felt like a happy eternity, as if the world around us slowed down.

"I love you, Winnie."

I giggled at the sound of his voice.

He loves me.

"I love you too, Rick."