A CaTEMstrophe

"W-What are those!?"

"I... I HAVE NO WORDS, Y/N. THESE ARE THE KINDS OF MONSTERS, BESIDES EVERY MONSTER IN THE UNDERGROUND, THAT I REALLY WANT TO KILL."

I looked over at a sign and it read 'Temmie Village.'

"What even is a 'Temmie'?" I asked.

The little cats stared at us for a long time. Then one of them perked up, alert. She meowed, "Who is you monsters?! What you do here in Temmie Village?!"

Another Tem trotted beside the first Tem. She meowed, "Yeah! How dare you disturb Tem Village?! We will fight you if we gots to!"

Papyrus sighed. He glanced at me, then turned back toward the waiting monsters. "LOOK HERE, TEMS. WE'RE JUST TRYING TO FIND A WAY OUT OF HERE. IF YOU COULD JUST-"

"Shush! Let Tem Shop Temmie speak to intruders," a Temmie yelled.

A separate Temmie stepped out from behind a few rocks and signs toward us.

"Hmm... a Royal Guardsman and a... a human! Temmies! There is a human!" She exclaimed.

They all started screaming like it was the end of the world. I had to cover my ears and Papyrus kept flinching. He leaned down toward me and said something but I couldn't hear it.

"Temmie allergic to humans!"

"Temmie must fight human!"

"Temmie allergic to Temmie!"

"Temmie must protect, but Temmie also attack!"

Papyrus and I began backing away. Except I got a brilliant idea. The Temmies were shouting things against humans! They could help in the war! I gestured for Papyrus to kneel to my height and told him my idea.

"I DON'T KNOW, Y/N... THESE THINGS ARE REALLY ROUGH AROUND EVERYONE. YOU HAVEN'T BEEN HERE LONG ENOUGH TO UNDERSTAND..." he said.

"We can still try," I pushed. I turned to face the wild Temmies and cleared my throat. "Temmies of Temmie Village, listen to me!"

A few of them turned to face me. Others continued arguing.

"I am not a human!" I lied. Many Temmies looked at me, listening. "I am a monster of the Underground now and humans are invading this place. Up in the front of the caves and Snowdin, there are hundreds of humans! We must fight them and get rid of them!" I shouted.

The Tem Shop Temmie looked at me and pondered.

After what seemed like forever, I think Papyrus even fell asleep against the rocks, Temmie perked up suddenly. "Tems will fight humans!"

The roar of cheer and excitement erupted from the Temmies and they began storming toward the front of the caves. Soon enough, the village was a ghost town. Literally, a ghost appeared before us.

"What's going on?!" the little black-and-red ghost asked.

"Who are you?" I asked.

The ghost glared at me with black pupils. "I'm Napstablook. Who are you?"

"I am Y/N. We were just-"

"Y/N, SHUT IT. NAPSTABLOOK ISN'T ONE FOR BEING FRIENDS WITH. HE BLEW UP HIS COUSIN, METTATON, BY COMMANDING HIM TO SELF-DESTRUCT. I SUGGEST YOU KEEP QUIET," Papyrus warned.

I stayed silent. As the ghost and the skeleton chattered about battling the humans, I started thinking about Papyrus. During the breaks between training sessions, I was able to befriend a few monsters down here. Every single one of them told me that they were afraid of Papyrus. Some of them told me that a sibling of theirs or some family member was killed by him to prove a point. Some said that his dangerous human traps and contraptions killed other innocent monsters and he didn't care a bit. They said he used to hate everyone but Sans and Undyne, and would kill anyone for anything. Knowing that these monsters have been here longer than I, they must be telling the truth... If that's so, why isn't he like that now? He's a lot more gentle than what they're telling me. What happened to him?

"LET'S GO, Y/N. WE'RE GOING HOME," Papyrus stated, breaking my thoughts.

The little ghost was gone. I stood up from the rock I was sitting on and we began walking through the dark halls toward Snowdin. Battle cries and howls of victory and grief cut the silence underneath the bare rock.

"WHEN WE GET BACK, I AM GOING TO PATCH UP YOUR ARROW WOUNDS," he said after a while.

"I can do it myself."

"YOU HAVE ONE GOOD ARM. EVERY OTHER LIMB OF YOURS IS IN POOR CONDITION."

"Why do you care about me so much?! Why am I different from the other humans and monsters you killed?" I retorted as I stopped walking. I stared at the floor beneath my armored body.

He remained silent and stopped walking as well. "Y/N,  I'LL EXPLAIN WHEN WE ARE SAFE AT HOME. LET'S GO," he commanded.

I took a step back and lifted my head to glare at him. "Explain to me now, Papyrus!"

He growled and sprinted at me, launching me into the rock walls, just like the day we met, and pinned me up against the wall.

"SHUT THE HELL UP, Y/N. I CAN KILL YOU AT ANY MOMENT I WANT. YOU ARE STILL HUMAN. YOU ARE IN THE UNDERGROUND. I THOUGHT YOU KNEW NOT TO TALK BACK TO ME AND COMMAND ME, Y/N!"

"I want to know why you've changed!" I shouted.

I saw a faint glare of red, and felt a wave of heat cross my head, and everything went black and unknown.