This is How You Start a War

"Y/N, Y/N! HURRY UP! I'D RATHER BE WATCHING YOU SUFFER THAN WAITING FOR YOU TO GET YOUR ARMOR ON!" Papyrus huffed.

"I-I'm trying my best! B-But one of the corners snapped yesterday! I'm trying not to impale myself!" I replied with a shout.

"STRENGTH, ENDURANCE, AND GREATNESS DOES NOT COME WITHOUT PAIN, SUFFERING, AND ERROR. SO HURRY UP AND GET. DOWN. HERE."

I jerked the shoulder guard over my arm and the sharpened tear cut through my sweatshirt, and down to my skin. I held in a silent yelp as I pulled over the armored boots and burst out of Papyrus' room.

"LET'S GO," he commanded impatiently.

We walked out of the house and into the forest. It was a lot colder than usual and I couldn't help but shiver. My fingers and my feet had gone numb before reaching the training clearing.

Papyrus aggressively pushed me aside, toppling me over.

"ARE YOU KIDDING? I KNOW YOU CAN DO BETTER THAN THAT! WE DID THIS YESTERDAY!" He yelled, walking toward the pile of shields, bows, and arrows.

"I-I'm just a little numb..." I started before he tossed me a wooden bow, a shield, and arrows.

Papyrus sighed and walked back over to me. "NOW I KNOW WHAT UNDYNE FELT WHILE TRAINING ME."

I let a weak smile show. He grabbed the bow and kneeled next to me. He gently positioned his hands around my own on the bow, teaching me how to hold it and how to set up an arrow.

He then stood up and walked to the other side of the clearing. He wore his own shield and bow. I wore mine as well.

"I AM GOING TO LAUNCH AN ARROW AT YOU. YOU WILL BLOCK WITH THE SHIELD. THEN, YOU WILL LAUCH AN ARROW AT ME," Papyrus instructed.

His arrow came swiftly and instinctively, I threw my arm in front of me. Pressure from the arrow's impact on the shield shot through my body. I raised my own bow and attempted to shoot him. The arrow flailed around in the air before falling to the ground. It was harder than I thought.

Papyrus sighed loudly. A low growl escaped from him. I shivered and grabbed another arrow, setting it up quickly in the bow. I didn't even try to aim as I pulled back and released the arrow. It flew across the clearing and caught onto Papyrus's scarf. It missed his shield.

"P-Papyrus! I'm so sorry!" I yelled, racing toward him.

"NYEH HA HA HA! NOT BAD! I'M PROUD THAT YOU LEARN QUICKLY," he laughed as he removed the arrow. "SOMETIMES IT'S HARD FOR ME TO BE EVIL AROUND YOU, Y/N."

"You're kind of cute when you try to be evil..." I mumbled.

"I HEARD THAT."

He walked and stood in front of me. His clawed hands rested on my shoulders and he kneeled down.

"YOU'LL BE TAKEN TO THE CORE TOMORROW..." he began. My hands under the armored gloves felt warm. "I COULD PROBABLY GUESS WHAT IT FEELS LIKE. AFTER ALL, I'D BE LOSING SOMEONE THAT I'VE GROWN ATTACHED TO."

He looked away for a moment, then back toward my eyes. "I... I..."

"C'mon, Boss, spit it out," I prompted.

"I DON'T WANT YOU TO GO. I WANT TO PROTECT YOU. I'VE ALWAYS KNOWN THAT SOONER OR LATER, YOU'LL BE GONE. AT FIRST, I HATED BEING AROUND YOU. THEN BY SEEING YOU TRAIN AND OBEY AND DISOBEY, I'VE GROWN TO LIKE YOU," he said.

I bent and kissed him lightly on his teeth. He smirked and kissed me back. "I know."

Surprisingly, I had lost track of time. We were probably there for a while, talking about training and other things, kissing every now and then. What sounded to be an explosion blared out through the forest.

"W-What was that?" I asked.

"I DON'T KNOW," Papyrus replied.

We each grabbed a weapon or two from the clearing and raced out of the forest. We reached the Snowdin path and puffs of smoke and debris flew from the forest leading to the Ruins. Vibrations rumbled through the ground. Sans shortcutted next to Papyrus. He looked as confused as us.

"I'll go to the Ruins! I don't care if she tried to kill me but, I have to make sure that Toriel's okay!" I said, beginning to sprint toward the far forest.

"Y/N! COME BACK HERE! Y/N!" Papyrus shouted. I disobeyed him and raced on.

~~~(A Few Minutes of Running Later)~~~

"Toriel! Toriel, where are you?!" I called into the smoke.

The trees around the Ruins were covered in more dust than snow. I pushed my way toward the double doors only to find that what was left of the doors. They were broken, splinter-covered, and hanging on to the hinges, flailing in the gusts of wind and debris. I squeezed through the doors and stood in a midst of chaos.

Figures of monsters were dissolving into dust statues, then being blown with the wind. Humans were taking the helpless monsters three by three and shattering their souls. Toriel was laying unmoving on the floor. I could see the dust forming on her limbs, encircling her soul. Only two of many humans seemed injured or dead.

"Wait! Over there! There's another human down here! She's wearing armor!" a human called out.

"Hey! That's Y/N! We found her!" another called out.

"What?! Y/N? The girl who climbed the mountain? She's here?"

They started to run toward me and I bolted out of the door remains.

"Hey! Wait! Come back! We came to help you!"

"Don't be afraid of us! It's the monsters that you should be running from!"

I couldn't bear to listen. I sprinted faster and faster, breathing hard. I came across a few of Papyrus' hidden bear traps and set each of them in diagonal patters along the snow. Some of his other traps were still set. I activated a few to hold the army back.

When I reached Snowdin again, I felt blood and sweat dripping from everywhere as I breathed. "H-Humans are a-attacking... Ruins destroyed... Toriel dead..."

Papyrus and Sans shared a look and dragged me into the clearing. Papyrus looked into my eyes and kissed me harshly. "I DON'T CARE IF YOU DO NOT KNOW AS MUCH AS I DID WHEN I WAS APPOINTED WARRIOR. I CANNOT WAIT ANY LONGER."

"W-What?" I asked quietly.

"I, THE GREAT AND TERRIBLE PAPYRUS, APPOINT YOU TO THE POSITION OF WARRIOR. YOU ARE NOW ONE WITH THE ROYAL GUARD," he declared, standing up.

I felt some sort of energy burst in my eyes and I was filled with DETERMINATION. Papyrus raced off toward the caverns to go into Hotland and the Core to recruit monsters and Sans went into the caverns. I stayed in Snowdin and told the monsters to either fight, hide, or die.

Because the Underground is going to war with the humans.