chapter 9

RADAR'S POV

After Hawkeye left to work on the patient, I sat down in his seat next to Rachel. She is so gosh darn beautiful!!! Her eyes sparkle when she smiles just gives me the shivers. Well I can dream... why would she like me anyway. I sleep with a teddy bear and I feel younger than her. Besides she probably likes Hawkeye.. I'll never be like him even if he is my idol.

"Are you alright son?" Colonel Potter asked. "You look down in the dumps!"

"Oh I'm fine sir," I said. Rachel looked at me concerned.

"Are you sure??" She asked. I smiled to reasure her.

"I'm fine." I said. Klinger came around and set a Grape Nee-Hi in front of me.

"Thanks Klinger!" I called out. He waved at me.

"Well I better be going." Father Mulcahy said. "Its time for me to pray."

"Goodbye father," Col. Potter, Rachel and I said.

"I better be going to," Major Houlihan said. "See you in the morning at 0500 Rachel."

"Yes ma'am," Rachel said.

"It was nice to meet you Rachel," Father Mulcahy said. "Well see each other again very soon." He smiled and left with Major Houlihan. It was just me, Rachel, and Colonel Potter.

"So Rachel what do you think of the 4 O double 7th?" Col. Potter asked.

She smiled and said,"I love it!! The people here are so kind and it's not always army material." Col. Potter chuckled.

"Well I try to make it as comfortable as I can for these folks without me getting my butt kicked from I CORE." We talked for awhile and then Col. Potter needed to leave.

"Well I don't know about you youngsters, but I gonna turn myself in for the night." Col. Potter said. "Goodnight Rachel and I need those forms with a bunch a numbers in them turned in tomorrow." I already filled them out and they are already on his desk.

"They are already filled out and on your desk ready for your signature sir." I said.

"Good!! I'll sign it first thing in the morning!" the Col said. "Good night Rachel see you tomorrow." He smiled and left us alone.

RACHEL'S POV

Colonel Potter and everyone else here is so nice!! I looked at my watch and saw it was already 11 o'clock. I need to wake up early tomorrow or Major Houlihan will probably have my head. Radar cleared his throat and I turned to look at him.

"So I was wondering if you'd like me to walk you to your tent," Radar said trying to be formal.

"Your so funny Radar you know you can act yourself around me." I said with a giggle. He relaxed and smiled at me.

"There's the Radar I know!!" I smiled. There is just something about Radar that makes him innocent and kid like. He's like a guy you want to hug the stuffing out of.

"So would you like me to ...to walk you to your tent?" he asked with a stutter.

I smiled and said," Yeah lets go!" He smiled and stood up. He walked over to where I was sitting and helped me up from my chair. He fumbled with army jacket.

"Here you go Rachel," he said and attempted to put it on me.

"Thanks Radar," I smiled and we walked out to my tent. We were silent most of the way there which gave me time to think.
Radar's not such a bad guy. He's so adorable and so innocent looking. No, this is a war there isn't anytime to fool around. It stinks here and its a hell hole. That's what Hawkeye would have said if I asked him about what he thought. He would be a bit more descriptive though. Gosh you forgot what a mouthful he can be. He is just one for words.

We finally got to the nurse's tent when Radar finally said something.

"Rachel?" Radar asked nervously. I turned around and smiled. I wonder what he wants. He looked around him and behind me.

"Are you alright Radar?" I asked concerned. "What's on your mind?"

"Well I know you haven't been here long and you probably like Hawkeye already.." Radar said a little fast. What! Hawkeye?

"Radar.." I started, but he cut me off.

Radar continued and said,"Captain would you let me finish please." I looked at him with a blank stare. "I just want you to know my feelings, but I.... I...." He stuttered. Then he looked like he made up his mind and he leaned in. His soft lips brushed against mine.

"Goodbye Captain," he said. Then he walked away with embarrassment. I stood there wondering what to do, but then walked back inside.
I walked into the tent to all the nurses talking to me at once.

"You and Radar!!" nurse Ann said. "That is the first time he has ever had the courage to do that."

"So whatcha gonna tell Hawkeye?" Nurse Betty asked. Then everybody stopped and looked at me till I answered.

"I didn't think of that yet." I said after a couple of seconds. "I think I'll go to bed now." I said quickly.

"Okay goodnight Rachel," Nurse Kellie and everybody else said. "We will wake you up tomorrow for breakfast."

"Okay goodnight." I said relieved that I didn't have to deal with this now. I quickly got dressed and slipped into bed. The warmth of the kiss from Radar was still there. I hope this doesn't make things awkward between us now. Those were my last thoughts until I went to sleep.

RADAR'S POV

I can't believe I did that!!! I embarrassed myself in front of the girl I love. Stupid Bozo!!!! Can't get anything right. I bet the whole nursing staff saw it too. Damn this thing is gonna be all around camp. I went to my office and sat on my bed. Why can't I be more like Hawkeye!! He's so charming and just perfect for someone like Rachel and I'm nothing like that.

The shuffling of feet scared me.

"Radar are you okay?" Well speak of the devil it was Hawkeye. "What's a matter, you look a little down," He said then sat next to me. He had his surgical gown on and his hair was messed up and more shaggy then usual.

"Its nothing that needs to be concerned about." I said plainly. He stared at me with his tired eyes.

"C'Mon Radar you can tell me," he said. "What's bugging you c'mon out with it."

"Well alright Hawk," I said with a sigh. "Do you like Rachel?" I asked with a sad look. He darted at me like I was crazy.

"Do I like Rachel?" He repeated. He turned his head and started laughing. I yelled and said," Hey this isn't funny you know!! I was asking a very serious question!!" Hawkeye stopped laughing finally.

"Well it depends which way you put it?" He said with a smile and giggled. I was confused and he noticed.

"Radar I'm her brother!!!!" He said finally. "I don't like her the way you think."

"Oh!" I said relieved. I wasn't expecting that answer. Then Hawkeye turned to me serious.

"Now the real question is do you like her?"

"Uhhh no sir... not like that sir!!" I stuttered. He looked at me and narrowed his eyes. The. he dismissed the thought and got up.

"Well.. it was nice seeing you.. g'night Radar." He said with a sigh. He stretched and was out the door.

He's her brother!! Wow!! Well I hope he doesn't ask me anymore questions about me liking her now...