chapter 3

RACHEL'S POV

The plane ride wasn't to bad. The jeep ride was a different story. When we got closer to the MASH there was shelling all around us. I was so scared, all I could do was cover my head. I can think of all the children with America's rocket red glare in their bodies. I was so glad we made it alive. This guy about 18 with a beanie on his head and thick glasses walks up to us when we stopped in the compound of the MASH. He was wearing his mask around his neck.

"Well if it isn't Radar Orielly." Charles says.

"Hello sir." Radar says to Charles. "And this must be the new nurse." Radar said looking at me. He held his hand out and said, " Corporal Radar Orielly, I'm the company clerk around here. If you need anything just come to me," he smiled.

"Rachel, nice to meet you Radar." I said smiling. Well he seems nice enough.

"Why Radar?" I asked curiously. "That's an unusual name."

Radar smiled,"My real name is Walter, but I can tell when something happens before it happens so that's my nickname."

"Excuse me." Charles says while chuckling. "Sorry to break your little introductions, but I am guessing everybody is in OR?"

"Oh yes Major sir... I know you don't have time to settle in an' all, but we need you to wash up and get to work right now ma'am." Radar said quickly to me.

"Okay. What about my bag?" I asked.

"I will take it to your quarters." he said. "You will be sleeping in the nurses tent until we can get a tent set up for you."

"I will show you to the OR then." Charles said. "This way," and he guided me there.

HAWKEYE'S POV

"Okay this one's done," I yelled as I finished. "I need fresh gloves." I continued. Klinger came in with a new patient.

"Next stop on the Klinger express, a view of the operating table." Klinger called out.

"I'm free Klinger!" I yelled. It was kid no more than 18 years old. Still awake too. " Well hi there! Welcome to Hawkeye's fixer up shop where I do amazing leg work. Now what can I do for you?" I asked the kid.

"My leg hurts a lot doc." the kid said.

"Well its going to hurt a bit. Let's just get you under and you will wake up with a brand new leg to walk on and maybe I'll add a little muscle for you to show to the girls back home." I said and smiled. "Okay now get him under." Just then Margaret came with someone next to her. This must be the new nurse.

"Well hi there Margaret and stranger." I said.

"Can we just introduce you to each other without the wisecracks!" Margaret complained.

"I'm sorry Margaret. Please continue," I said.

"Everyone I would like to introduce you to Rachel. Our new nurse." Margaret said.

"Hi everyone." Rachel said softly.

"I would come up and give you a hug, but I am a little stuck right now." Colonel Potter said. Finally the new nurse is here.

"If you are free, I need a nurse here!" I called out to Rachel. Margaret pointed to me and Rachel walked over.
"No funny business," Margaret said
"Really Margaret you need to have more faith in me! I swear on my still I won't do anything!" I declared.