Chapter Three

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY DEAD!?" He roared. The grip on his beer bottle tightened.

"We went to Mac's Diner, still under curfew, and before we could order, men with masks and guns came in and shot her."

He stood up, "SO YOU JUST LET HER ROAM AROUND WHEN THE GUYS WITH GUNS CAME IN?!"

"No, Daniel made himself a human shield until she came out from behind him!"

"I thought I told you to stay away from him!"

"HE'S NICE! HE ACTUALLY CARES, UNLIKE YOU!"

"WILLOW, THIS IS YOUR LAST WARNING! STAY AWAY FROM HIM! HE'S JUST A LAZY JACKASS WHO WANTS TO HOOK UP WITH GIRLS!"

"Oh, so you mean he's like you?" I said with my arms akimbo.  

"WHAT THE HELL DID YOU JUST SAY TO ME?!"

"YOU DON'T HAVE A JOB! I'M THE ONLY ONE WHO WORKS IN THIS FAMILY! MEANWHILE, YOU SPEND MY MONEY ON ALCOHOL! THE ONLY REASON YOU'RE HERE NOW IS BECAUSE YOU KEPT MOM IN A RELATIONSHIP BY VIOLENCE! AND NOW SHE'S GONE BECAUSE OF YOU!" I screamed, my throat was starting to ache.

"ME? YOU AND YOUR SISTER DROVE HER TO SUICIDE!" My jaw dropped. She knew she was going to die when she gave me that locket, she purposely crashed that car, that's why she was crying. She chose to leave us. "She didn't tell you?" He grunted, "well color me surprised. She told me she couldn't take the stress and hurt the world was giving her."

"No. No, it can't be true."

"It is, Sherlock." He took a swig of his drink, not bothering to look up.

"Her death wasn't my fault!"

"Sure it wasn't. It definitely wasn't sister's fault." He paused. "It was your damn mother's fault!

"DON'T TALK ABOUT MY MOTHER OR MY SISTER"

"I'LL TALK ABOUT THEM IF I DAMN WANT TO!"

I pointed towards the doorway, "GET OUT! GET OUT RIGHT NOW! THIS ISN'T YOUR HOME, IT WAS MY MOTHER'S."

The anger and the liquor inside him mixed together, creating an unholy rage. His bushy eyebrows slanted downward, fury burned in his light blue eyes.  He swung his fist and let go of the beer bottle, hurdling it right towards me. SMASH! Missing me by a couple inches, the glass showered down on me.

David took a few steps closer to me, so close I could hear his unstable breathing. I felt a stinging sensation on my cheek. "This. is my house. Get out before I slap you again."

I did exactly that, slamming the door as hard as I could on the way out. We didn't have a car, but that was okay. Running sometimes solves the problem.

My feet slammed against the pavement, slowly picking up the pace. Faster and faster. My breath followed me as I ran, then disappeared. Appear, disappear. It's like it was on a cycle. Stay with me then leave. Like everyone I love. Thoughts and feelings I've never thought/felt before churned around inside my mind. My frozen tears clung to my freckled face.

"The world can be a monster. Sometimes you'll win the battle and sometimes you'll lose. You just have to remember to never stop fighting." My mother's words replayed over and over in my head as I ran on the rough, icy pavement all the way to Daniel's.