Contract: Kill Grelod

Start from the beginning

I reach Riften in two days time. The orphanage is right by Mistveil Keep, a cramped little place.

"Grelod is dead!" one of the children shout happily. The assistant looks petrified, as she is wailing in a corner.

"Hurray!" the other cried, a short blonde girl ran across the room, rejoicing. They're delighted and joyed.

"Grelod is dead?" I ask one of the orphans.

He jumps onto the bed, matching my height. "Yes! Thanks to a mysterious man that walked out half an hour ago!"

"Mysterious man? Do you know what he looks like?"

"Hmm... I didn't really get a good glimpse of him, but he had really dark hair. I don't know what he did, but he... he shouted! It was so cool, Grelod went flying!" He points at the old woman, her face plunged into the wooden ground as her body was bent back onto the wall. Whatever the man did, he stretched and bent her figure in an inhuman way. It isn't polite to steal a kill!

"Do you know where he went?" I ask. He shrugs, and calls his friend.

"Hey, Runa!" he yells across the room, and she comes running. "Do you know where our hero went?"

She thinks for a moment, and nods. "He looked tired. Probably in the Bee and Barb!" I smile, and give them both a piece of taffy.

Making my way to the inn, I pass by one of Mara's priests and catch Keerava's attention. "Room."

"Stay out of trouble, elf girl," she breathes as I hand her ten coins. I smirk lightly, giving her quite a scare. It's always fun to creep out a lizard innkeeper. There are rooms to choose from, but I just choose one at random. I crouch down, peeking inside a keyhole. Sure enough, the butcher is inside, sleeping soundly on a bed. Assassin's luck. I set my supplies down, finding a quill and paper after I settled in.

Astrid,

Some fool stole my kill. I found the culprit here at the Bee and Barb. He needs to pay for what he's done, punishment will not be excused. If you have trouble finding him, his room is on the second floor, to the left. You can't miss it. I suggest you do the old trick you do when you have to figure out the one who has a contract hanging above their head. Brings back memories.

-Cortana

I fold the note in two, sticking a cardinal decoration to hold it in place. I won't let this one go undisciplined. I stroll out my room, giving it to a nearby courier. A familiar voice startles me, and I slightly jump.

"Sis, it's been a while," he taps my shoulder and smiles. I spin around, surprised to see his face again.

"Bryn...jolf?" I murmur, making sure I remembered his name.

He laughs, his red hair falling to his shoulders. "Of course! The last time I saw you was when you were probably fourteen. So young you were, you haven't changed a bit."

I mean, it isn't like I don't want to see an old friend. It is a bit awkward, surprising too, he still remembered me. "Yeah. How is the Thieves Guild doing?"

Brynjolf frowns a bit, and pats my head with his overgrown hands. He looks to me as if I was his little sister, and even goes as far as altering my name to 'Little sis.' "Not so good. Let's just say we're off to our Dark Age of the guild. We got a new recruit, but he doesn't seem that interested. He's a mysterious one."

Everyone I encounter with has explained he was rather mysterious. "What does he look like?"

"Eh, black hair, his eyes the same colour, he isn't shy but it seems he talks only when he feels like it," he explains.