47

"Mant?" Molani says softly coming into Montani's room.

"Yes, Mother?" Mant says quickly wiping away the tears that have fallen.

"What happened? Don't give me the story that tells me nothing either."

"I wasn't there when it happened. I was spending the time with Leean learning how to meditate so that I could hear the music of the land," Mant hears Molani's in drawn breath. "Montani stayed with Teondae as he was negotiating with the dwarven leaders about joining the alliance to fight. Somehow the wards protecting them from the little spider had failed and one found Montani. She said that she didn't even feel it's bite. The first she noticed anything wrong is when she stood up and fell unconscious. Teondae had caught her so she didn't fall. The High councilman said that the bite is deadly and told Teondae to plan for a funeral. But Teondae is a rarity for his people, he's a healer and a powerful one at that. He healed Montani and kept the poison from reaching the babies. But it's going to take a long time for the effects to fully leave her. Until then she will be weak and prone to bouts of unconsciousness."

Molani looks from Montani to Mant and places her hands on her hips, "Did you just tell me that I'm going to be a grandmother, young man?"

Mant looks up from Montani sheepishly and nods. Molani runs over and gives him a hug. "Wait, did you say babies?" Multiple births are a rarity for the Eldar, even more rare than it is for the elves or dwarves. Many adults only have one child and think themselves lucky if they have more than that. Part of the reason the Eldar haven't built up their numbers since the great war.

Again Mant nods, "She says that she's having twins. I only found out as we were coming in for a landing so don't get upset with me."

"I'm not upset, I'm thrilled." Molani gives him another hug and looks happily down at the girl she's considered hers since Mauntie brought her home. "I'm going to fix her favorite foods for dinner tonight."

"See, I knew you loved her more than me." Mant says at the slowly waking Montani. Montani sticks her tongue out at him.

"I don't love her more, Mant, but this is special news. I'll fix your favorites tomorrow." Molani misses the whole byplay  by Montani and Mant.

"That's okay mom, I understand," Mant says relieved that Montani is awake once more. Molani leaves not realizing that Montani is awake once more.

"How has she taken the news?" Montani asks, her throat dry. Mant helps her sit up and gets her a drink.

"As well as can be expected. I've heard from the others that she took Teondae's news better than anyone other than the dwarves. Jewel was well pleased by that."

"Good, if the dwarves get offended the alliance won't last." Montani says closing her eyes and leaning back against the headboard of the bed.

"Yeah, well she wasn't overly happy about the reaction dad and the other council members showed at our reception here. The eagles weren't too happy about our leaving either, although they say they understand since you passed out again. They had to get home to prepare the other eagles some more. They said something about evil ones amassing."

There is a knock at the door and Teondae enters at Mant's invitation. "Don't worry about the evil ones invasion for now. The first of the winter storms will be hitting the land soon. The land around the eagles will be under several feet of snow and ice by this time two days from now.

Montani looks worried, "Have the eagles been warned?"

"They read the signs better than even the elves. They'll be under protection before the wind starts blowing." Teondae assures Montani.

Mant doesn't look away when Montani closes her eyes in thankfulness once more.

"What is it?"

"Your father is back and he's not very happy. Molani sent me back here to get you to calm the waters." He is after all the reason the waters need to be calmed.

Mant stands up and is beyond angry that he needs to do this.

"I'll stay here with Montani." Teondae offers.

"I'd rather have you there when I talk to my father," Mant disagrees. Not because he doesn't trust Teondae with Montani, but because he wants his father to apologize to the vacar.

Reluctantly Teondae follows the Eldar prince back to where the others were sitting.

Mant doesn't waste any time. "Father, if you are going to make my friends unwelcome than Montani and I will leave. Just let me know quickly since winter will be starting soon and we'll need to get to the elves before the first storm hits in forty eight hours."

"What? You aren't leaving again. You just got home and your mother will kill you if you even think of taking Montani before the children are born." Mant notices that his father is avoiding the question of whether he's being unwelcoming to his friends.

"Montani, myself, Teondae and even Leean have worked hard at forging the accords for the alliance. I will not have our work undone because you can't get beyond your prejudices. You managed to do it for Montani several years ago when you brought her home. There are times I think you love her more than you ever loved me. Well if you truly love her you will learn to fully accept our friends for her. If it weren't for Teondae, she would be dead, as would my children. She was saved by Teondae, just like Montani saved your ass ten years ago. Now I demand that you give the Vacar king the same respect that you gave to Montani." Mant is beyond angry and it shows.

Mauntie is shocked, Mant is one of the most even keeled Eldars he's ever met. He's rarely even seen Mant angry, but never so furious as he is now.

"I apologize, king Teondae. You are of course more than welcome to my home for as long as you remain among my people. The alliance my son and daughter in law and you all forged is of vital importance to the survival of us all. I have been utterly wrong in how I've treated you." Mauntie bows to Teondae when he finishes.

"It is no more than I expected. Actually better than I had expected. Your wife has been most gracious to me." Teondae gets a small dig and when Mauntie winces he knows that he's gotten his point across. "I accept your apology and hope that we can move forward towards the bettering of our people's relations."

"Yes, of course. When Mant can tear himself away from Montani's side, the council would like a report on what has been going on. You all are invited to give your insights as well."

After that the tensions were much less and Teondae started feeling like perhaps he would be accepted there after all.

Teondae started tutoring Mant and any other Eldar children that wished to learn the vacar magic. He wasn't very surprised at how many could access the magic, but he was surprised at how many could hear the music of the land. Soon it wasn't just the children that were learning.