32

"We'll be stopping by the lands of the Vacar on the way to the other peoples. I would extend an invitation to you to visit my home for the night at least. My people wish to speak to Montani before facing the villagers. She and Mant have already accepted my offer of hospitality." Montani hears as she and Leear enter the dining room.

There is silence at the Vacar's words. "Damn, what I wouldn't give to have that offer extended to me." Leear says softly, so softly that Montani just barely hears it.

Montani looks towards the table where her husband and young elf were situated, then up to the presence of the queen and king. They are all looking at the vacar, some with undisguised shock apparent on their faces.

There isn't an elf that heard Leear that wouldn't love to be in Leean's shoes. The magic of his words and the longing that was evident makes them all wish to see the wonders of his,  Teondae's home.

Leean himself is unsure of just how to respond but somehow manages to get out an affirmative to the offer. "Thank you, I'd like that."

"Could you come with us for a few days Leear?" Montani asks softly.

"I, unfortunately cannot, the order for the evacuation has already gone out and many of my people are giving us trouble about it. You were going to ask Teondae to extend the invite to me, weren't you?" Leear smiles down at Montani and at her nod continues, "Perhaps when this war is over he'll be willing to allow me to see it?"

They both know that the likely hood of them all surviving isn't very good.

Montani tries to hold back the tears but one escapes and falls down her face. "Now none of that Montani, life isn't over yet and we have no idea what is in store for us."

The two move forward even as Montani impatiently wipes the tear away. Mant smiles at her as she takes the seat next to him, but stiffens as he notices her wet cheek. He glares at the elf prince but he receives a shake of the head in return.

"It wasn't his fault, Mant. Just enjoy this meal before we must leave," Montani instructs before following her own advice and taking a bite of the food before her. Mant with less enthusiasm follows, but soon eats as quickly as Montani.

"The food before travel is specially made, many of my people have taken to wandering just so that they can have this food more often." The king says indulgently as the four start eating and let all talk end. "It has been known to become addictive."

"Enough father, let them eat in peace," Leear chides. With that there is no more talking as the others let the four eat in peace.

Shortly after they are finished eating the royals speak one last time with Montani and her group. "The mobilization has started, but the humans don't know that we are coming. We don't wish for further bad feelings with the humans."

Montani has no doubt that should be the case if there is no interference soon. "Send a messenger with this message to the innkeeper there, he'll make sure that there is no trouble, after all he's the one that saved me many times." Montani takes a paper and writes something on it, it doesn't look like the human written language and so Mant is confused.

Montani hands the paper to Leear who assures her that it will be given into the innkeepers hands as soon as possible. 

"My people will be here soon to start the spells to protect your homes. We'd greatly appreciate not having to protect ourselves at the same time." Teondae's words, although an irritant are accurate, many of the elves would likely attack the vacars when they show up.

"We will speak to our people, as long as your people show no hostile actions they will not instigate any either." The queen says more than a bit angry that it needs to be said. She is aware that it does need to be said though, and that is why she doesn't say anything about the insult.