24

"My lady," Teondae says as he steps into the light from the clearing. He'd arrived just after they'd finished cleaning up from breakfast. Montani gives a small start and Mant is quick to join her. Teondae bowing presents her with a small box. Montani looks at the box and then at him.

"Teondae, what is this for?" She asks confused as she takes the box that he presented her. She feels the box, something tells her the box itself is old, far older than anything she's ever been near before.

"It's a present from my people to you, please accept it." There is an almost pleading note to Teondae's voice as he says this. It catches Montani's attention, but then she returns it to the box in her hand.

She hesitantly opens the box in her hands, she can't help the gasp that escapes her as the ray of sunlight hits the contents. Montani gently lifts the chain from the box and Mant removes the box from Montani's hands so she can hold the chain in both hands. The light runs like quicksilver over the chain. The chain is just long enough to slip over her head. The links were each tiny works of art, so cunningly made that it's impossible to tell where one ended and the next one starts. She is entranced by it all.

Mant inhales sharply, he recognized the significance of the chain. Montani stutters trying to find words for Teondae, "Teondae, what-I've never seen anything so beautiful."

"It's the greatest of the Vacar/Eldar creations. It was the last thing they created together before the poison of jealousy destroyed the friendship. Afterwards the magic never worked so well, it had become tainted." Teondae nods towards the chain that Montani has put on, "That has it's own magic, every wearer has a different ability." Teondae continues, "Before today it has never been worn by anyone other than a Vacar. It is yours now. One of its abilities is to call the Vacar, should you ever need us, it will call to us."

Montani picks up the chain that rests against her and marvels at it once more before looking back up to Teondae. "I don't know what to say. It's beautiful beyond mere words, thank you sounds so weak to what I'm feeling, but thank you. Thank you so much Teondae and thank your people for me as well."

Teondae gives her a small smile. Mant watches and waits, but Teondae says nothing more.

Montani's next words though, wipe the smile right off Teondae's face. She lets the chain drop after looking at the play of light on the chain on last time. "If you are ready it's time to go, it's time for you to start meeting other humans. My village was very tolerant with the rumors about me, we shall begin with them."

Teondae hadn't expected to actually have to deal with other humans, but he should have known, after all they are the ones that will be using the help of the Vacar. With trepidation he follows behind Montani and Mant.

The trail had become overgrown after ten years of disuse and they have to be careful as they go. They don't go nearly as fast as Montani would like to. It has been ten years since she's been here and she no longer knows how the people will react. She doesn't even know if they'll accept her or even listen to her. She feels the bitterness rising in her, she had been tolerated more than accepted in the village now she's bringing back with her two people from myths and horror stories. She has a feeling things probably won't go very well.

She shrugs to herself and sighs deeply. There is nothing to be done about it now. They need her help, and the help of the Eldar, but they especially need the help of the Vacar. That is going to be the hardest part for them to understand.

She stops as they come to the edge of the village. It has grown in the ten years since she's been gone, but not a whole lot. She notices that everything looks as it should. She nods to herself and leads the way to the little inn, the only inn her village boasts.