21

"I saved the life of the Eldar leader, my husband's father." Montani really doesn't want to talk about it anymore, at least not right now.

Teondae looks at Montani, "You were very young if you saved his life ten years ago. You say you are human, yet you are stronger than the Eldar. How is it humans are in need of our help if they are strong enough to produce someone of your strength?"

Montani pulls into herself and doesn't answer, she can't. Memories of her past, even before her family's death have her full attention. Mant answers for her.

"She is strong, by far the strongest human ever, but in general humans are very weak."

Leear speaks up, "Montani is special. She was forced to hide her abilities from other humans to keep from being killed. We elves helped to train her until she joined the Eldar. Other places humans are killed if there is any mention of abilities. They are called witches and hunted down. Montani was fortunate that she lived here so close to the Elven lands or she might have been killed years ago." Teondae is startled at her name and Montani doesn't understand why but before she can question him on it he speaks diverting her thoughts.

"Humans are even greater fools than I believed them to be." Teondae mutters, "But that creates even more issues. If they would have killed one of their own how will they accept the help of mythical monsters?"

Montani shakes herself back to the present, "Perhaps they are fools. Perhaps they need a lesson, but that doesn't mean they deserve to die, not all of them. Should your people come to help them, that will show that the stories aren't all true." Montani tries and fails to smile, "But in the end does it matter? If we do not band together, Eldar, Elves, human and Vacar, the evil ones will kill us off one by one until there will be no one else. Perhaps the great eagles would like to join us as well? But even if they don't we need your help."

Mant snorts, "You know the Eldar themselves are forbidden to help the humans at this time. So instead of helping them my father sent me out hunting them, further out than most would consider necessary to secure our borders."

"The elves have withdrawn from the affairs of the other races and many are resistant to the idea of helping any other race. I was on my way to the Eldar nation to speak about the evil one infestation when we were side tracked. I join in Montani's offer of alliance in destroying the evil ones. My parents will back me in this, as we are being hard pressed in fighting the evil one's clear of our borders." Leear says more thoughtfully than he had ever thought he could pull off with the creature of horror standing before him.

"If you are sure, My lady, then I will talk to the elders of my people. They are most eager to return to the lands of their nativity and most likely will agree to come and serve you. If so I should be there by tomorrow night. Asuan," Teondae tries to hide the excitement from his voice and his face, but fails epically. There is no doubt among any of them that he desires to join them and fight the evil ones.

This time when Teondae bows and fades they let him go. They all awaken from the sleep they had been in and talk softly for a bit. Soon all the elves fall back asleep leaving just Mant and Montani awake.

Montani is troubled by how Teondae addressed her. Why would he call her my Lady and say that they would serve her? She hadn't missed how he was startled at her name either, why?

Mant was more concerned with Montani and soothing her. He strokes her hair, calming her until she falls into a deep sleep. She had left her protective barrier up so they hadn't bothered with sentries for the night. Mant just wished there was some way for him to relax enough to fall asleep as well. He didn't like just how pervasive the evil ones had become.

Due to the exhaustion from the mind control fight they had had the night before, they all slept later than they'd normally would.

Although Mant was the last one asleep he was the first one awake. He figures that had something to do with him being the only one that didn't have to fight Teondae mentally. He looks around the camp and makes sure that everyone is okay before he starts a fire and making something to eat.

As he goes about the menial chores he thinks over the words of Teondae and compares them to the stories he'd heard when he was a child. That the Vacar and Eldar were friends before the races diverged isn't something he'd heard before and it irritates him that his people intentionally left that out of their histories. How could a whole other race being at your side not be important enough for them to remember, even with the jealousy?

That the renegade vacars caused incredible amounts of destruction there is no doubt. Whole villages were destroyed. People became mindless puppets for the vacar to control. Husks of people, their corpses left to rot in the sun, their blood emptied by the vacar. The horror remains in the stories. But like all stories, time and retelling distort the truth and now Mant wonders just what was truth and what was lies.

Slowly the others wake up and join Mant. He gives them food and it seems to help them revive even more. Mant becomes worried when after several hours Montani still hasn't awakened and all the others had.

Just as dusk settles over the land Montani finally awakens. Mant goes to her and hands her some food and water. She smiles and accepts even as she speaks to them all. "Teondae is almost here. If you can't keep your weapons where they belong please set them by me." This was said calmly and softly, but it was a command and they all heard it. Leear and some of the other elves stiffen at the command but realized that it is for the best. Especially when they couldn't stare Montani down.

Montani eats the food with relish, but with speed as well. She doesn't want to be caught eating when Teondae shows up. She has some questions for him that she wants answered. Questions she couldn't ask if her mouth was full of food.

She swallows quickly as she remembers that there is something more she needs to tell them. "If anyone makes an aggressive move, Teondae will protect himself and I won't help whoever does it, not even Mant, is that clear?" There are startled looks around, but Mant looks torn between amusement and hurt at her words.

"I won't let anyone hurt you if it's unprovoked Mant, but if you in anyway instigate it you will have to deal with the consequences. This is all part of the deal we have made." Mant nods in understanding and makes sure that he keeps himself under control. He doesn't want to die or embarrass Montani from his actions.