Distracted Diner

I pull in to their driveway and see my mom's green car shoved into the side of the driveway barely fitting on the concrete, but there's just enough space for my car next to hers.

I exit and make my way to the front door to see someone's bike leaning against the bushes. Must be Scott's. Is he here? Oh god, please don't be here.

I open the door slowing trying not to announce my presence to the house, but my efforts become useless as I hear Allison yell from their dining room.

"Nina's here! We're in the Dining room!" She yells in a rushed pace.

I smile as I go towards the sound. Knowing Allison is feeling awkward just made my day a little better.

I make my way into the living room to see Victoria and Chris siting across from each other while sneaking glances at their daughter's Romeo.  Romeo and Juliet both have their eyes pleading for someone to rescue them from this arena. They point their eyes at me and I know exactly how they feel. 

"Nice of you to join us." My mom blurts out. I finally muster up the courage to look her in the eye, but all I can see is a monster behind her eyes.

"I was busy." I say as bluntly and as I can.

Everyone raises their heads at the harshness in my voice, but I can't care. I can't pretend that this family is normal when they could be killing people. 

I go sit down at the only chair available, but when I sit down, I move my chair closer to Chris. I try to be discrete and fail as all four people awkwardly stares down at their laps.

"So...Alex... What were you doing earlier today?" Allison asks breaking the uncomfortable silence that filled the room.

"I went to school. I got in my car. I went home. I got called. I came here."

I have no regrets for what I'm doing. I didn't want to come. I just found out who my family really was. Derek was right. My family did have a secret, but Stiles was also right. I didn't want to cross this line. I want my family back, I want my innocence back.

"Did you work with Stiles on that extra credit?" Scott asked knowing I'd pick up the real subject at hand.

"Yeah, it was interesting. I learned a lot, but yes we did get it typed up in time for the rushed deadline."

"What was it about?" Allison asks not picking up on the hidden meaning.

"Um.. It was about how folklore has developed over time and how society reacted to the unknown. Like the Salem Witch Trials that accrued in the early 1870's or the death of the Beast of Gevaudan that was killed after 3 years of people dying." I say remembering all the times I got bored and read random books in class.

"The Beast of Gevaudan?" My mom questions as I finish my sentence.

"Yea."

"Did you know that our family was connected to the Beast."

"Doesn't surprise me."

People did believe it was a man wolf so it does make sense that we're connected, but when did supernatural hunters become a need. Like did people just wake up one day and tell themselves it'd be okay to kill people just for their own objective. It doesn't matter who or what they are because everyone is someone's somebody.

"Do you want anything other then water, Scott?"

"No, I'm good. Thanks." Scott answers.

"You sure you don't want anything stronger? Like bear?" Chris intervenes.

"I will. Did you unpack your priceless bottles of wine. yet?" I decide to interrupt before Scott has the chance to respond. 

I watch as all eyes turn to me once again. I'm starting to like all this attention.