fourteen

Heyyy. Remember me?

Sorry, guys. I've been handling a lot of things. Plus I just wasn't happy with my first draft so I had to rewrite it.

"Is that my Y/N?" Tasha cried happily, racing to the car just as Thomas was helping you out of the passenger seat.

"Hi, Tasha," you gave her a polite smile and really, you shouldn't have been surprised when she pulled you in for a hug, but you were.

"Oh, please, dearie, you're still my daughter. Nothing can change that. Call me Mum, still." she patted your cheek gently and you could have sworn you saw a hint of sadness in her eyes.

It disappeared before you could think anything of it.

"Gamma!" a bell-like voice shook you out of your musings. Hope was reaching for Tasha, and they were both laughing when they went inside the house.

"Come on, dearie, Thomas will take care of the bags."

"She's right, love. Go on." Thomas kissed your temple before opening the trunk. He bent over but looked at you first. "You look amazing, darling."

"So do you." you walked away, trying to hide your blush.

Thomas wore a white shirt that hugged all his muscles. Even Hope loved that shirt on him. With that, he had on a pair of khaki shorts.

Hope insisted on your A-line dress. You conceded - it was a special occasion anyway, meeting the parents again and all. Plus, Thomas had said that he loved this certain shade of blue on you even before you started dating. 

You may or may not have bought more clothes in that shade after that.

You walked in on a happy scene. Hope on Tasha's lap, Mark helping Ava with the food.

A banner was taped to the wall, written Happy Birthday in Ava's feminine script.

Annoyance pricked at your chest. Thomas promised that they wouldn't do anything grand. You were about to practice your choice words for Thomas when a pair of arms and a squeal cut your thoughts off.

"Oh, Y/N, just when I thought you couldn't get any more beautiful!" Ava's familiar floral scent surrounded you.

You tried not to scoff. Ava, like her older brother, was an angel on earth.

"You owe me months worth of gossip, girlie," she teased. "You've been holding out on me."

Ava supported you dating Thomas from day one. She may have interfered and played matchmaker, thus you confiding in her.

"Hope's gotten so big," she sighed wistfully. "a real beauty, like her mother."

"I wouldn't say that," you chuckled, "not when her father has a model's face."

"Oh, pish posh. She's all you."

You smiled, not knowing what to say about that.

"I hear Thomas is taking you on a cruise? How exciting!"

"Let the girl settle down, Ava." Mark scolded. When Ava stomped back to the kitchen, Mark smiled and pecked your cheek. "Happy birthday, Y/N. Why don't you sit down with the girls and Ava and I will finish up?"

"Anything I can help with?" you ignored Mark's suggestion and followed him to the kitchen.

Mark sighed. "Should have known you won't just sit down." he smiled fondly. "you can fix the drinks."

You immediately set to work, a surge of happiness invading your chest at the feeling of being in this familiar place again. You remembered when you got engaged to Thomas - Tasha would insist on dinner here every night and the two of you would get busy in the kitchen while the boys caught up on work.