Prophecy of the Flame - Book Two (Sneak Peek)

Prophecy of the Flame - Copyright 2011 by Lynn Hardy

Prophecy of the Flame - Book Two

Love’s Price

In a small clearing, ten feet from the trees, I sit cross-legged. I open my senses, broadcasting mentally as well as vocally. “I come in peace, offering a treaty against those who threaten all sentient beings on this world. Will you speak with me?”

The forest remains silent. I feel a presence, perhaps more than one. “These demons threaten not only mankind, but all life. Have you not felt their malignancy? How long until they take one of your kind?”

One wandered south to observe what occurred. They fell victim two nights past.” Alien thoughts are projected into my head.

“Would it not, then, be prudent to join forces?” I add a telepathic invitation, “Come, if you will, and see what plan I have in my mind.” Minutes pass as I feel a feather-soft probe scanning my thoughts.

This is the form you wish us to take?” A jet black cat, larger than a lion, almost as big as a horse, steps into the clearing. The sound of steel scraping against scabbards rings in the silence of the meadow. I raise a hand to stay my protectors.

Muscular and lithe, the statuesque beast is majestic. “Tell me: What are you willing to give in return for our aid?

“I sense kindness and integrity within you. I will give anything within my power,” I respond without hesitation. “If you can do so without harm, I invite you into my memories to perform a thorough reading of the being with which you are to make a pact.”

The spirit beast raises its head, giving a very catlike twitch of its nose as ears swivel. Gliding across the meadow, the being tries out its new form. Warm breath ruffles my hair. Whiskers tickle my skin as a feline essence mingles with my own. Firm and direct, memories flash through my consciousness, lightning fast. I lose track of them before the beast withdraws.

Rather disorganized for a being. More compassion than sense.” The cat’s voice takes on a note of resignation. “Call me Jesse. I will be your partner. We will reach the encampment well before nightfall. In return I require that you march east, swinging north first on your next campaign. Will you agree to clear the Ethereal Forest of demon kind?

“Agreed.” As the word leaves my mouth, two more figures advance from the foliage. Jesse looks over his shoulder at the new arrivals. The cat lifts his head, giving a warning growl. The hair on his neck stands on end. A golden beast roars, bellowing back a challenge. It flexes its claws, crouching as if to pounce.

Huffing air out of his nostrils, Jesse’s gesture resembles a sigh. He turns back to address me, “This pair wishes to lend aid to your cause. If your companions will agree to a reading as you have, these two will become their partners in this crusade against the invading demons.

“These beings have agreed to be our mounts. No, much more than that. . .” I relay the spirit beings intentions to Szames and Andrayia. The prince unsaddles his horse then comes to stand beside me. Alex’s concubine hesitates. “This is the only way you will be able to accompany me. You may return to the castle with our mounts if you wish.”

With a grimace of determination Andrayia begins to unsaddle her mare. She hauls the saddle over, dropping it at my other side. “I have given my word to stand beside you. We stood against a horde of demons. Come what may, I follow where you lead.”

Want to continue the journey?

http://www.LynnHardy.com

http://lynnhardy.blogspot.com 

Book Two - Now Available on Amazon Kindle