I hurried to add:

“He’s very responsible and keeps an eye on everything, making sure we have all we need.”

She nodded again and silently drank her tea. Once her cup was empty, she frowned as if she was thinking of something utterly unpleasant.

“And how are things with the boy?”

I sighed. Even though she’d avoided addressing Caden by his name, I could tell straight away she meant him just by the disapproval in her tone.

“I’m not looking to start an argument, Alissa, I’m simply inquiring about my daughter’s relationship,” she waved her hand, probably annoyed that I’d glowered at her.

“We’re fine, mother.”

“Just fine? Nothing more? No longer floating in the clouds?” If Elanor didn’t think that sneering was a sign of bad breeding, she’d be doing that right now. “And I don’t suppose he’s found a job.”

“He’s trying but it isn’t easy.”

She let out her signature dignified grunt.

“Well, I’m sure it is not! I for one would not hire someone who’d steal my income the moment I turned my back on them.”

“I thought you weren’t looking for an argument,” I reminded her of her previous statement coolly.

She didn’t grace me with a reply; she just got off her chair and poured herself more tea.

Why couldn’t she see Caden for who he really was?

He was kind and loving, and considerate… Yes, he’d made some poor decisions in the past but he’d learned from his mistakes. He was getting his life on track and he could never intentionally hurt me. He loved me.

Even though lately I felt like I didn’t deserve it.

Ever since the shooting, I wasn’t myself. I was jumpy and nervous; I often cried when no one was around even when there was nothing to upset me. I’d suddenly feel this lump in my throat, my eyes would water and a moment later I’d be on my knees, sobbing.

Caden didn’t know about that.

No one knew.

One thing I couldn’t hide though was my nightmares. I wish I could make them stop or that I could somehow keep my screams in my head but I always let them out. I would scream, I would cry and I would wake up.

And then I’d see Caden’s agonizing, worried face. He would try to soothe me, he’d hold me to his chest, he’d rock me gently back and forth and tell me that it would all be okay and that he wouldn’t let anyone hurt me.

And I would believe him just enough to go back to sleep.

I sighed and looked around the kitchen. Elanor was still here, leaning on counter and drinking her tea with her back turned to me. I quietly got up and left without a word. I didn’t go to the living room where I could hear my friends laughing. I closed the door to my room and slumped on my bed. I felt like crying again but I knew that Caden would eventually come up to check on me so I kept my tears at bay. For now, I just wanted to be alone.

****

Caden’s POV

“So what did you want to talk about, Logan?”

After dinner at the Green’s, everyone had moved to the living room with the exception of Alice and Elanor who stayed in the kitchen. I guessed they’d want to be alone and attempt to bond. I was sure they would fail, yet I’d gotten up to give them some space. But as I followed the others, my brother pulled me to the side and asked to speak with me one-on-one. We’d chosen the garden since everyone else was in the house.