.: Six :.

Connor's POV 

I wake up with a groan, shielding myself from the sunlight that was coming out of my window. Instead of waking me up normally, Cynthia had Zoe do it, and her way of waking me up consisted of opening the window. 

"Wake up, Lazy Ass." Zoe laughs, walking out of my room and leaving the door open. I lie on my bed, looking up at the ceiling and wishing for more sleep. A couple of minutes later, I get up. I slip on black ripped jeans and a dark gray shirt, putting my black sweatshirt over that. I jerk the curtains closed before walking out of my room and down the stairs to the kitchen. Cynthia nods toward the breakfast she's prepared on the table, but I ignore it. 

"Hey, Connor. It's Friday! That means that friend of yours-Evan, was it?-is coming over! Is your room clean?" Cynthia smiles, raising her eyebrow when she asks me about my room. 

"Shit. I didn't know it was Friday already." I mumble. Cynthia sighs as if disappointed, "And to answer your question, yes. I hardly do anything but sit in bed anyway, why would it be dirty?" I chuckle dryly to myself. No one says anything. 

"Well, I'm off to work." Larry stands up with a heave. He heads out of the kitchen and slams the front door when he leaves. The kitchen is silent for a moment before Zoe speaks up and says, "Let's go Loser." I roll my eyes as I grab my satchel from the kitchen chair. I walk out the door, my sister behind me, and violently open and shut the car door. We both sit in silence (don't attack me please) until we get to school, and even then I don't say a word to her. Instead, I walk away from the car and into the school, heading to my locker. I share quick eye contact with Evan, and he gives me an awkward smile and starts fidgeting with his fingers. 

"I'm guessing this is one of those moments where you tell me you can't make it to the plans we made?" I raise my eyebrow. 

"No, I can come, I'mjustreallykindaafraidofnothingIguess?" Evan speaks so fast that I'm not sure how I even kept up. 

"Dude, my parents aren't going to murder you and hide you in a basement. Jeez." I laugh at my own joke. 

"Are you sure?" He laughed lightly, but it sounded like a legitimate question. I smiled at his attempt at an ongoing joke, before slamming my locker shut. Evan jumped, nearly tumbling to the ground. 

"Anyway, do you want to ride with us home or walk with just me?" I ask him, changing the subject quickly. 

"Oh-uh...," Evan thinks for a moment and then continues, "The car's, it's fine." He smiles a toothy smile, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly. The first class bell rings and he turns to run to his next class. 

------

The end of the day has finally come, and the strange yearning feeling inside of me has subdued. Today was different from all of the other days, obviously. Though, it felt kind of like a good different. A different that wouldn't ruin my life any more than it already has. 

I feel a couple small taps on my elbow as I'm walking toward the front of the school and turn my head to see that it's Evan tapping me. I slow down a bit, as I see that he's nearly running to keep up with my long strides. 

"So, uh, what's up?" Evan tries to sound casual but fails miserably-and we both know it. 

"Just walking to my sister's car," I say as if he wasn't going with me. He nods, opening his mouth but quickly shutting it when he realized he had nothing to say. 

"Aren't you older than-than Zoe? Why don't you, you don't have a car like she does." Evan murmured. 

"Because I don't have a driver's license, Evan," I say, emphasizing each word a little too much. He looks away from me, and I open the door carelessly for him when we get to the car. It nearly hits him, and he makes a tiny squeaking noise out of fear. 

"Evan... Right?" Zoe asks Evan as he gets into the car. 

"Yeah. And you're Zoe...?" Evan stutters, his face flushing a bit. 

Oh, God.

Jesus fucking Christ.

I give Evan a dirty look as if to say "Stay away". His eyes widen. He looks away and out of the window. 

------

"Oh, Evan! It's so, so nice to meet you finally!" Cynthia beams at Evan, who is playing with his shirt. 

"We're going to be in my room," I say, trying to save Evan from Cynthia's babbling. 

"Oh, okay! I'll call you when dinner's done!" Cynthia waves to Evan as we begin to walk up the stairs. She doesn't take a second glance at me. We get to my room, and I plop myself on the bed, checking my pockets for my phone, and pulling it out when I find it. I see out of the corner of my eye that Evan is standing near the door still. 

"You can sit on my bed, you know. And please, shut the damn door." I raise my eyebrows at him, looking unimpressed. Evan shuts the door quietly and then proceeds to sit on my bed. I watch him eye a couple of spots, finally picking a spot on the side of the bed and sitting away from me. I bring my eyes back to my phone, scrolling through some old photos. 

"So... Uh, you have a really nice room...?" Evan squeaks out. I press the power button on my phone, sighing. 

"How'd you break your arm, Evan?" I ask, completely disregarding the question asked before. I knew the answer, but I was trying to ease the tension that was clearly felt between the both of us. 

"Oh, this? I-I, uh, I fell out of a tree." Evan turned around, sitting criss-cross and looking at me with sad eyes. 

"Ouch," I say dryly, "That's one of the saddest fucking things I've ever heard."

"Yeah, I know right? I mean, why did I even climb that tree anyway...? No one, no one climbs trees these days..." Evan laughs nervously, smiling at me. 

"You're terrible at not being awkward, aren't you?" I ask, chuckling lightly. Evan says nothing in return, looking down at his shoes and picking at them.

"I don't even need an answer."

"Boys, dinner!" Cynthia calls from downstairs. 

"Time to bring your awkwardness downstairs." I tease. Evan stays silent and walks quickly. Zoe is found sitting at the table already. Evan sits in the chair that's pulled from the dining room. I sit in the usual spot, as well as the rest of the family. 

Let the awkward dinner talk commence. 

LMAO rip this chapter because it's so fucking boring hahahhaaha who's a good writer, not me adjf pafa I promise it'll be better next chapter, maybe. Anywho, I hope you liked it even tho you probably didn't because who would?
[edit: wow oka y i highkey hated myself and this fic didn't i]

I just want to thank you guys for over 400 reads on this fic. What did I do to deserve this?? Thank you so much!!
[edit: ha scrub you have so much more now lmfao]