Chapter 22 ~ Investigation

Luna knew that something was off when her dad called her into the police station to talk to her. He rarely ever did. If he needed to talk to her about something, he would talk to her at home. Luna hadn't seen Hayden since Friday night, and it was now Monday.

The girl walked into the police station, growing more confused when she saw Liam there, getting ready to leave. "Liam? What are you doing here?" Liam turned, approaching the girl when he saw her.

"They called me in to talk to me," he stated.

Luna's eyebrows furrowed. "About what?"

Liam shrugged. "They found Hayden's dead body by the back of Damian's barn. Apparently they're questioning everyone who was there. Investigators said it looked like a murder."

"Holy shit," Luna mumbled, looking down. She looked back up at Liam. "Who the hell would have killed her?"

"That's what they're trying to figure out," Liam stated. Luna's dad stepped out of his office door, waving Luna over when he saw her. Luna gulped, looking up into Liam's crystal blue eyes. "It's okay. If you know you didn't do anything, then you'll be fine."

Luna nodded. "I'll talk to you later, okay?" Liam nodded, smiling and leaning down, pecking her lips. He walked out while Luna walked to her dads office, sitting down in a chair on the opposite side of the desk that he sat on. He sighed.

"I know you didn't do it, but I need to talk to every person that was at that party," her dad reassured her, calming her heart beat.

"Do you have any idea who might have done it?" Luna questioned.

Sheriff Stilinski shook his head. "No. We've talked to all of the ten people who stayed the night. They're either really good liars or were too drunk to be able to remember anything or know what they were doing."

"What about the people who left? Is it possible one of them would stay behind and wait to murder Hayden?" Luna quizzed.

"Do you know who might have done that?" her dad asked.

Luna shrugged. "Honestly, I didn't know a lot of the people there. All I know is that I went, then the people staying went in the barn, passed out, the storm woke me up in the middle of the night, and I realized that Hayden was gone." Her dad jotted down the words as they slipped off of her tongue.

Her dad grabbed files of all of the people who were at the party that they had known of, setting them down on the table. He looked at Luna. "You up for some research?"

"You know it," Luna smiled.

~~

After a few hours of investigating the possible suspects with her father, Luna decided it would be best for her mental health to go to Liam's. She climbed through his bedroom window, seeing him wearing earbuds, laying on his stomach watching 'White Chicks'. Luna smirked, jumping on his bed, startling the boy and causing him to roll off. Luna smiled, laying on his bed, hanging her head off of the side and looking down at him.

"Howdy," she said, an innocent smile curling her lips up. Liam looked up at her, taking his earbuds out. Before he could get angry with her, Luna leaned down, her lips meeting Liam's, causing Liam to melt into the kiss. She let go, Liam smiling, the corners of his crystal blue eyes cringling.

"What are you doing here? I thought you said you were stuck at the station going through files with your dad," Liam stated, standing and sitting on his bed. Luna sat up, sitting with her legs criss-crossed, making her look like a little kid during story time at school.

"Well, you can only research for so long," she shrugged. Liam nodded. He put his hand on Luna's cheek, placing a gentle kiss on her lips. Mid-kiss, his bedroom door opened, his mother walking in. Liam quickly pulled away, his head shooting up.

"Hey, Liam," his mom said. She smiled when she noticed Luna. "Oh, hey, Luna! How are you doing?"

Luna shrugged. "Pretty good," she smiled. "How about yourself?"

"I'm wonderful, thank you," Liam's mom replied. She looked back at her son. "Your step-father and I are going out to dinner. I left money on the kitchen table for pizza if the two of you decide that you're hungry."

Liam smiled. "Thanks, Mom." She nodded, smiling and waving at the two of them before walking out, closing the door behind herself. Liam looked back at Luna, clearing his throat awkwardly, his mom having been the reason the mood was killed. "So, did you guys find any possible suspects?"

"Unfortunately not," Luna sighed. "There were so many people there, and they're all either too drunk to remember or they're lying. We have no idea who would have murdered her." Luna just shrugged, unsure of exactly what more she was going to say about the situation. A thought hit her like a big yellow school bus. "What if someone was there that we didn't know about?"

Liam's eyebrows furrowed. "Meaning what?"

"There could have been someone in the shadows," Luna replied. She just sighed, the thought replaying in her head and sounding stupid, although it was a good possibility. "I don't know, I just. . . Hayden could have been any of us. Whoever killed her could have killed you or me."

"But they didn't," Liam stated.

Luna broke the eye contact, looking down. She intertwined her fingers in Liam's hand, which was much bigger than hers, making her feel protected. She looked back up into his eyes. "They could have, though."

Liam sighed, disliking the fact that the thoughts were driving her anxiety level up. "If they wanted to murder us, they could have, okay? Let's just order some pizza and try not to think about it."

"Okay. . ."