Chapter 2 ~ Tryouts - continued

Luna stood at her locker between classes. She had Algebra 1 next, one of her least favorite classes. She grabbed her Algebra text book, putting her English one away. She turned, seeing Damian walking to his class. She smiled, waving, the boy smiling back before going into the class he had. They had been best friends since Kindergarten, but that was all. They saw each other as siblings. Damian was about a foot taller than he, standing at six-foot three while Luna was only five-feet and one inch tall.

Luna was currently in the middle of a conversation with Kira.

"An axe murderer?" Kira questioned, her eyebrows furrowed. Luna stepped back from her locker, shutting the door. She turned turned to Kira.

"A family murdered axe murderer," she corrected.

Kira rolled her eyes. "Well, I'm sorry that I wasn't right on."

"I already heard about it," Scott spoke up. Luna flinched back, having completely forgotten that the boy was there, along as Stiles.

"Wait. What? You did? But- how?" Stiles asked, his eyebrows furrowing together.

Scott shrugged. "My mom called me. She knew we'd see it on the news."

"Perfect," Luna smiled. "Let's go." She pat Scott's shoulder, trying to signal for them to leave to find the axe murderer.

"Hey, whoa," Scott interrupted. "You've got Algebra in a few minutes, and we've got Econ."

"Your point?" Luna scoffed. She crossed her arms over her chest. "Did you already forgot about the axe murderer?"

"Did you forget that your dad's the Sheriff? He wants us to stay out of it," Scott reminded.

Luna rolled her eyes. "How could I forget? He's always reminding me that he has a shotgun and if a boy breaks my heart, he isn't afraid to use it."

Stiles stepped in. "Are you telling us that there's a family murdering axe murderer and we're not going to do anything about it?"

"Maybe. . . We should just let the adults handle it," Kira suggested, shrugging. Luna rolled her eyes, scoffing.

"Okay, love birds, we don't always have to agree here," she spat.

Stiles crossed his arms over his chest. "So, the two of you, you just want to stay here, go to class?" They both nodded.

"Never heard anything so irresponsible in my life," Luna mumbled.

~~

"Terrible. Horrifying. Pathetic. Unbelievably pathetic," Coach spat to certain individuals as they jogged by. It was currently the official tryouts, the ones where Coach would be choosing who did and didn't make it onto the team. Luna was the only girl trying out, which put a bit of pressure on her. "Is that everyone?" Stiles passed Coach, stopping and falling to the ground panting. "Yup. That's everyone."

Luna jogged to her brother, helping him stand. "You good?"

"Is he even human?" Stiles asked, panting. Luna looked to where Stiles was looking, seeing Liam pumping out push-ups as if they were the easiest things ever. "What is he, a werecheetah? Do those exist?" Luna shrugged. "Take me somewhere. I'm gonna puke."

A few minutes later was when the practice shots section of the tryouts would be starting. Luna stood in line with the other boys. Danny was their goalie, a friend of Scott and Stiles. She didn't know him all too well or how much skill he had in lacrosse. It didn't matter much to her, really. Her anxiety would be kicking in if the goalie was any good or not.

Scott stepped up to take his shot. He extended his arm, sending the ball through the air, and. . . completely missing the net. Luna gulped.

"Nice one, McCall!" Garrett called.

"Hey, Garrett! Shut up!" Stiles yelled. Luna stifled her laughter.

"McCall and boy Stilinski, grab the long sticks. You're covering goal for the two-on-ones. Let's go! Line it up!" Coach shouted. Scott and Stiles grabbed the long sticks, jogging to the goal. They put more effort in, as they felt the need to be better than Liam, and started to walk together to block the boy from getting a shot. "That's my boys! Those two are like sons to me." They blocked yet another boy. "That's how you do it! That's how it's done!"

Luna watched carefully as Liam stepped up to take a shot. He put his helmet on, tightened his gloves, and looked towards Scott and Stiles. He moved his stick in a circular motion, the end of it digging up grass as it hit the ground. Luna rolled her eyes, crossing her arms over her chest. Liam ran forward, only to sneak past the two boys and get the shot.

Malia stood in the bleachers. "That was luck!" Luna stifled her laughter. "Do-over!"

Coach turned around to Malia, simply shaking his head. "Sweetheart, there's no do-overs. This is a practice."

"Ten bucks on Scott and Stiles," Malia challenged, cocking an eyebrow confidently.

"Hey, make it thirty!" Luna called, raising the price, even though she knew that her brother wasn't exactly the best lacrosse player in the world.

Coach smirked. "I'll take that action." He turned to the boys. "Hey! Get back in there, Liam!" Liam, walked to the front of the line yet again. Luna looked at Scott, noticing a red glint in his eyes. She was silently hoping Liam wouldn't get the anger raging inside of Scott. As Liam ran to get the goal, Scott charged him, sending the smaller, younger boy flying over his shoulder and landing on the ground with a crack. Luna winced. They all ran over to him. "Don't move! Don't touch him!"

"I'm okay, Coach. I'm alright," Liam insisted. Just seconds after saying he was alright, he yelped in pain. Scott and Stiles helped him up, an arm around each of their shoulders. "I think it's my leg."

"I think we better get him to the nurse," Stiles said. Coach glanced at them.

"By nurse, he means hospital," Luna corrected.