Chapter 31: A Bad Day

Start from the beginning

George had decided to just pave the entire pathway, and put in brand-new, reinforced, wrought iron handrails with re-bar that went into the actual rock cliff face. It was much more expensive and involved than what had been there before, and required geological survey work from the local oceanographic society or something, but George didn't care. He'd paid to have all of the fieldwork expedited, the permits pulled, and the surveys completed, and they'd finally gotten the okay to begin construction two days before. When it was finished, it would be much safer, not to mention much prettier to look at.

**************************

"So, you excited to find out?" Scout asked George. They were headed to Dr. Summerville's, hopefully to finally learn the gender of the baby.

"Of course I am," he responded, reaching over to grasp her hand.

"George," Scout began.

"Yeah?" He looked over at her. "Should I pull over? You sound serious."

"No, I just want to ask you something, not a big deal," she reassured him. "Um, if the baby's a boy, would you, that is, do you think your mom would--"

George looked over at her, brows drawn. "Jesus, what?"

"Would you guys like to name him Oliver?" Scout asked. "Is that something you'd like to do? Or would that be weird? I mean, I wouldn't mind, I think it would be really nice, but not if it would be painful for you and your family, you know?"

George kept his eyes on the road, blinking from time to time.

"You are such a sweet and lovely person," he finally said, lifting her hand to place a gentle kiss on it. "Yes, if it's a boy, I think Oliver would be a lovely name," he concluded with a nod, looking over at her briefly. He took a deep breath.

"Now what if it's a girl, hm?" he asked with a shake of his blond head.

"Well, I do actually have a preference," she said. "It's an old family name, kind of plain, but I've always loved it." At his raised eyebrows, she said softly, "Alice?"

He grinned. "I actually love Alice!" he declared. "But would you mind if we spelled it the Welsh way? A-L-I-S? My mum's people are Welsh, and it would make her really happy," he explained.

"Alis," Scout said happily. "Alis Mathilda? Would that be all right? My favorite aunt was named Mathilda," she explained. "She made the best caramel in the world, one of my favorite memories."

"Alis Mathilda it is," George declared.

And when they got to Dr. Summerville's, and she put the transducer on Scout's tummy and moved it around, she confirmed that it was indeed Alis Mathilda who was growing inside her, who would be making her appearance in the world in about three more months.

"Oh my god, Scout, a girl!" George repeated, and Scout could see the unmistakable joy on his face as he said the words. He smiled as he kissed her, over and over. "I was hoping it was a girl," he admitted as he wiped his eyes.

"And she's fine? Everything looks good?" Scout asked.

"Everything looks fine," Dr. Summerville reassured her. "Lots of activity, as you can see and feel, size well within normal range, fingers and toes all accounted for, all looks lovely, my dears."

George couldn't stop looking at the monitor, and was disappointed when the doctor finally removed the transducer and wiped Scout's belly. She did send them a couple of photographs, though, so he'd have something to look at.

Once again they walked down the High Street of the village when they left the doctor's office, and George bought her a huge bouquet of flowers from the greengrocer's. Scout knew he would, because of what she'd told him at Christmas about the flower petals. In fact, on that day, he insisted on buying her two bunches of flowers, one for her, and one for Alis, he said, and nothing she said or did would dissuade him.