Against - Chapter 2

Chapter 2

“If you ever cross paths with a Luferus, run.”

That night, long after the time Beriana left, the wind howled and Elanil lay in her bed, awake and anxious. It was as if the weather knew exactly how she was feeling. The anxiety churned in her stomach and the excitement rushed through her blood. Before climbing into bed, she spent a few hours at her wooden table her father had carved for her. She had written letters explaining about her journey, telling them, that if she wanted to achieve her dream, this was the best way to go. Now she was lying on her side and gripped her stomach, which was her lame attempt to keep her emotions still, and willed herself to sleep with no avail. The soft cotton blanket lay as a jumbled heap by her feet and the pillow was warm and uncomfortable.

The window opposite her bed gave her the full view of the moon, one of the reasons she chose this room as a bedroom. The beautiful white of the half-moon had a soft halo surrounding it as it seemingly tried to out shine the stars. The twinkle of the far away stars caught her eye and she closed them, inhaling deeply to smell the forest border near her tree-cabin. She let out a shaky breath, trying to exhale all her worries, and thought about their deity, Arallah. She silently prayed for a good rest, because it would be sometime before she would lie in her own bed once more, and asked for the protection of her loved ones. Almost immediately, her body became heavy and a small yawn escaped her lips. Before she could think ‘thank you’, she fell into a light, untroubled, dreamless sleep.

The never ending line of Evergreen trees stood as a clear marker of the edge of Elaéyador and the beginning of the Trovian woods. The sun was just dawning and Elanil was already at the forest line. Her one hand gripped her bow tightly and her other was clenched in uncertainty, nails digging into her rough palm from training. She left the letters on the coffee table for Beriana to deliver but was considering to trash them and to not go at all.

Stop being a coward, Elanil scolded herself and took a step forward, twisting her copper ring awkwardly because her bow was in her hand, then another and another; walking closer to the woods.

“Wait, Elanil!” Beriana shouted from behind her. She looked over her shoulder and then turned around in shock.

“Beriana, where did you get that?” Elanil asked, quickly putting out her hands to slow down the animal. The horse whinnied and bent its head into her hand, blowing hot air. Beriana smiled and gracefully hopped off the horse.

“Isn’t he beautiful? His name’s Sylfaen.” Beriana whispered while she stroked the black stallion’s mane. Elanil just stared at the horse then at her friend.

“Beriana, where did you get him?” Elanil asked slowly, Beriana’s grin had almost split her face in half.

“Well, I borrowed him.” Beriana stated smugly, a broad grin spread across her pixie-like features. Elanil felt her hand twitch and had to refrain herself from going to strangle her friend. She closed her eyes, took deep breaths, and tried to convince herself that Beriana borrowed him from someone they knew that owned a horse, which was no one.

“Who did you ‘borrow’ it from?” Elanil reached to grab the reigns while she kept her gaze level with Berianas’. She shuffled uncomfortably under her stare.

“Stop looking at me like that!” She shouted and shifted her eyes away from Elanils’ gaze, “I didn’t steal him if that’s what you’re thinking. But if you aren’t going to take him, then I’m going with you.” Elanil looked at her friend in disbelief.

“No.” Elanil stated strongly. Beriana could hardly use a knife in the kitchen; it would be a miracle if she could use a dagger in one clean sweep without dropping it. Beriana frowned and crossed her arms stubbornly over her chest.