5: Esther makes contact

Start from the beginning

Have you any idea how fascinated everybody here is by Australia? They ask me what’s been happening on Neighbours and Home and Away. I have no idea, I’ve never watched soapies. Can you let me know please? You watch Home and Away right?

Email me back soon!!

Love ya!

Esther xxx

DEBBIE!!! LOOK HERE ON TOP OF THE TV CABINET!!! YOUR TEACHER CALLED ME TODAY, IT WAS VERY AWKWARD. TO AVOID ME HAVING TO PARTICIPATE IN SUCH AN AWKWARD CONVERSATION EVERY AGAIN, PLEASE GO TO CLASS, DON’T TRUANT AND CONCENTRATE ON YOU MATHS WORK! I’VE GOT THE NIGHT SHIFT AT THE HOSPITAL TONIGHT, DINNER’S IN THE OVEN – ROAST CHICKEN AND POTATOES. EAT ALL OF YOUR VEGETABLES. THAT IS NOT A SUGGESTION, IT’S AN ORDER.

THE WEATHER IS STARTING TO GET COLDER NOW THAT IT IS AUTUMN. PLEASE WEAR YOUR GLOVES AND SCARF TO SCHOOL TOMORROW. THAT ALSO IS NOT A SUGGESTION.

LOVE YOU, DARLING!

MUM

Mum, if you don’t want to have awkward conversations on the phone, than don’t answer the phone. Conversations on the phone are almost always awkward, that’s why you text people instead. Or email. Why don’t you just ask my teacher to email you instead next time? I left some of the chicken for you. You may have noticed that all the potatoes are gone.

Also, can I have a few hundred dollars please? I need a new bike. I’m going to try mountain bike racing. You always said that I needed a hobby.

Debbie

Text from Matt to Debbie

Update on the note dropper – he smells like chocolate at the moment.

 So Matt, mind me asking why you’re sniffing random boys in the hallways?

 He walked straight passed me when I was casually hanging around

 Okay… well thanks, but you don’t have to keep updating. I don’t think I care anymore.

 Suit yourself.

Debbie,

I got your letter while I was in second period art! Maybe you’ll get this before the day is over... ooohhh an anonymous note dropper! Sounds mysterious and possibly romantic? Are you into romance? My boyfriend is really romantic. He gets me flowers and just pops up around me sometimes and gives me big bear hugs…

Sorry! I started waffling on about my boyfriend again, I tend to do that quite a bit and I think it annoys some of my friends. ANYWAY! This anonymous note dropper, yes, I do believe there are boys with brown hair in my school! Actually are heaps of guys with brown hair in my school! You wouldn’t happen to have more detail would you? Hmmm this sounds like an interesting mystery! Let me know as soon as you figure it out!

Lately, I have been pretty boring too. You’re not alone there. I wake up in the morning, I go to school, I hang out with Drake, I go home, I try to do my homework then go to sleep. I repeat the same pattern every day. I need to take up a hobby too. I think I’ll learn how to cook properly, so far all I can make is sausages and mashed potato. I should really learn.

CYCLING!? Do you WANT to have massive cyclist thighs!? Are you sure about that!? I mean, yeah, at least it’ll be muscle on your legs instead of fat (not that you have fat thighs, I do.) But still!!! Have you SEEN cyclist legs!? They all have tree-trunk legs and calves! If you want to exercise that much every day, I think you’re nuts. You’re off the planet. I find that climbing two flights of stairs is enough exercise for the week. (I’m extremely lazy)

 Oh! I met someone from your school yesterday! I forgot to ask his name but he knows my name. This is going to get extremely awkward later if I ever see him again. He’ll be all like ‘Hey Evie!’ and I’ll be like ‘Hey! …You!’ It’s going to be such an awkward turtle moment!!! I think I might duck and hide if I ever see him again. Cute guy though, not as cute as Drake of course, but he’s not ugly. I don’t think he is a prick either, he was so genuine and nice. I had dropped all of my books after school on my way home, and he helped me pick them all up and insisted on helping me walk home. Usually Drake walks home with me and helps me carry my books so I felt a little awkward at first, but then he kept talking and making jokes and creating conversation… Such a great guy! Maybe I should introduce you two! It’d be great! You would love him!

Oh! The bell just rang, I’ll drop this in your school mailbox and hope you get it before school’s over!

Evie

Debbie, I’m sorry I’m probably freaking you out with all these notes, I don’t know what I’m doing and I don’t want you to hate me if we ever meet or anything. I should just talk to you straight up… It’s just nerve wracking. I’ll stop doing this now. It’s too weird knowing that you’ll read what I say but I have no idea what you think of it.

I’m sorry…

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys!!! So I'm thinking of putting this in the watty awards, just as an incentive for me to not stop writing =) Though I'm not sure what genre this would come under. If you think you know, tell me please!!! thanks people!! =D