Chapter 47

Shout out to  annathepanda23 for the cover!

Chapter 47

Nolan

       It was almost time for Monday's challenge to see the first person who would be in the final round. Lucy just announced the fan favourite but since there was only three of us left in the competition, there wasn't going to be anymore cards chosen.

      Which sucked because Jerome was the fan favourite. Oh well. As long as Dirk wasn't the fan favourite, but I didn't think he would ever be because of the way he had been acting.

       Lucy told us to head into the backyard now, and while we were heading out, Jerome pulled me behind everyone to talk to me. "All we have to do is have one of us win today's challenge, and the other win Friday's," he said. "Then it will just be me and you in the final without Dirk."

       "I'm just hoping it's some sort of brain challenge so I can wipe the competition," I said.

       It wasn't a brain challenge.

       It was definitely some sort of physical challenge.

       I just hoped Jerome would win and the Friday challenge would be a brain challenge, because there was no way Dirk would win one against me.

       In the yard were three, long wooden planks balancing on a thin log. On one side, the planks were being propped up by a box so it was running vertically, and a handle was attached to the end. On  there other end sat a stack of blanks.

       "Here's how this challenge is going to work," Lucy said. "You're going to grab the handle and gently move the box out of the way. Then, you are going to want to keep the plank straight so the blocks on the other end don't fall off. Once they do, you're out of the challenge and the last one with the blocks still standing moves on to the final round, which, as a reminder, will be broadcasted live. Get to the starting positions."

       I was totally going to lose this. Great.

       Jerome, Dirk, and I each went to a plank and held onto the handles. As soon as Lucy told us to go, we had to gently move the box out of the way, then just stand there, trying to make sure the blocks didn't fall.

       There was no way I was going to win this. I wasn't going to be able to go along time just standing still, trying to keep the plank horizontal, so it all depended how long Jerome and Dirk were able to go.

       I was actually going longer than I thought I would, but the longer I went, the more my back started hurting. I almost lost my grip on the handle and the blocks shook a bit, but none fell off. I took a deep breath and tried ignoring the pain in my back.

       It wasn't working.

       Jerome suddenly lost his grip on the handle, crying out in pain as he grabbed his wrist. And I, of course, had to make sure he was okay so I dropped my handle and hurried over to him. "Hey, are you okay?" I asked.