Chapter 16

Shout out to lovesickday for the cover!

Chapter 16

Jerome

       The school just hit the midterm mark and things were not going well. For me they were. For Nolan? Not so much.

       Nolan only had one midterm, but he had to write a short story for his creative writing class and it took him so long to finish the essay which gave him less time to start the story.

       He was stressing out a lot and I hated it.

       It was worse because the only midterm I had was for French, but since that was my first language, it was going to be a breeze. While I didn't have to focus on anything, I had to watch Nolan stress out.

       On the bright side, I was able to help him study for his only midterm since we were both in that class.

       On the not so bright side, he couldn't concentrate. He was overthinking everything and right now, he was too concerned about the grade he was going to get.

       "I can't do this," Nolan said, closing his textbook and tossing it beside him on the couch. "I'm going to fail."

       "You're not going to fail," I said. "Stop thinking about what grade you're going to get. That's what's making things worse. I told you, the professor is an easy marker. If your answer is relatively close to what she was going for, then she'll give you the full mark."

       "I suck at languages, though," Nolan said.

       "Which is why we're studying now," I said. "You said it yourself, it's hard for you to understand when people are speaking French, but it's easy for you to read it. The midterm is written, not verbal."

       "I need a good grade, though, if I want to keep my scholarship."

       "And you will get a good grade if you stop thinking about it. You're stressing yourself out and I told you you're not supposed to. You're going to make everything worse."

       Nolan sighed and rested his head on the back of the couch. "How are you so laid back about it?"

       "Well, for one, it's my first language I'm being tested for," I said. "And second, it's my fourth year. I've learned that if I keep thinking about the grade I want, I won't do as well. I just live in the moment, not the future."

       "It's not that easy for me."

       "I know that. We'll stay up all night studying for the midterm if we have to, but I promise you, it's not going to be that hard. In fact, to make it easier, I will be talking in French for the rest of the night so you have to try understanding what I'm going to say."