Fourteen - Payback's A Bitch

Lunch was the only thing I was looking forward for, except, I couldn't actually eat because: One, my biological brother and his best friend were sitting on a table together and they kept looking around, probably trying to find me. Two, Cassie and her cheerleader friends were also looking for me as they glared at my friends at our table. And lastly, because I couldn't also stop thinking about Luke—about what he did.

Was he even in his right mind when he decided to punch Kelly? Why did he even punch him? Was it for the fun of it?

There was no way in hell that I was going to think that it was because of me. It's Luke. I mean, the guy is menacing, not to mention, we absolutely hate one another. What could be the reason he would punch Kelly on my behalf? Nothing. The only explanation for him punching that asshole was to release his inner demons.

The guy is in a gang, for God's sake, I'm pretty sure he has inner demons.

Just. Like. Me.

I was sitting at the steps of the back exit of the school, staring at the cold sandwich I bought from seven-eleven this morning before I went to school. It was already squished under my books and the mayonnaise had seeped through the crusts and covered the whole paper bag.

My nose crinkle in disgust, seeing some piece of the lettuce and other meats float around along with the mayo.

"Disgusting."

Of course, he's here.

"Sometimes, I wonder why I haven't punched you yet," I roll my eyes, standing up and throwing the sandwich at the huge bin of trash a few steps away. "Did you go to the nurse yet?"

He scoffs, sitting beside me at the steps. "I don't do nurses, Rosalie."

Crossing my arms, I cock my brow at him. "I don't think you'll keep saying that if you've been stabbed. But, aside from annoying me, what are you doing here, Luke?"

He smirks and I couldn't help but snap my eyes down at his lip.

The split lip of his didn't even break, no blood, and even though wounds were typically not an attractive thing to a person, this made him even more attractive.

Okay, what the hell was that? Was I just thinking about my enemy looking good?

This was absolutely the first time this happened. I mean, I've got to admit it. He does look good, like always. And he was still wearing that leather jacket, just as I was wearing mine too but I knew that I couldn't pull off this leather jacket look the second I'm beside Luke. Those blue eyes? They just pierce right through—

Okay. Enough!

"You look good too," he winks, that smirk of his never faltering. "I also do check you out, Rosalie, but damn, not the obvious way like you just did."

Is this what it's like to talk to Luke Thomas? Having different conversations every time?

And they say women have mood swings.

Rolling my eyes, I stand in front of him, crossing my arms. "Be careful what you say, Luke. You don't want another bruise adding to your face."

He mimics me, crossing his arms and raising a brow at me.

Now, we were in a state of silence, staring at one another like it was a competition of life or death. Neither of us moved nor said anything. Both of our emotions showed nothing but irritation, maybe anger, but never the truth of what we were feeling at this second.