Ten - Second Chances

Alcoholism. Something that most of the population suffer from if isn't medications or any other kinds of drugs. It wasn't like I've became an addict. Sure, I almost choked a few times from drinking too much, and I almost choked other people because they would do something that would piss me off but I knew I wasn't one.

Well, not anymore. To tell you the truth, I always want to go back to that time where I could get blackout drunk and not care. But, no, here I am wishing it really does come true if I have to keep talking to the one and the only, Luke Thomas. I don't want to suffer listening to this boy yap about things I don't particularly care about.

Which is basically whatever he'll say.

"So, who was that guy that you were fighting with?" He turns to me, his face, expressionless. "Seems like you two go way back before you even came to this town."

Of course. It all had to be him—following me everywhere, making sure that I wasn't part of the enemy. Which meant that he had already made Jack as for who he is, and he's worried whether or not I work with him. If I was, I'd be in a lot trouble especially now that we're along and I've come to know that his gang is settling in this town.

I've always been careful but now, I need to triple my awareness and alertness of everything.

Shrugging, I stare at him without fear or the feeling of being intimidated. "Why do you care who he is? In fact, why are you even here talking to me instead of going straight back to your house? We're not friends. Are you forgetting that I almost burned your eyebrows?"

He narrows his eyes, those bright blue orbs staring right at me, trying to decipher me. "Oh, believe me, I'm going to get you for that. Soon, we'll be even. I just need to know who I'm dealing with before retaliating."

Standing up, I dust myself off, giving him a wink and a smirk before starting to walk away from him. "You can try if you want but just know that I'll hit back worse. By the way, if you're going to follow me around with that car of yours, at least be inconspicuous. Don't drive around a red Chevrolet. It's like you're holding up a sign where you're asking for attention."

And I left him there, sitting by the edge of the bridge. I could feel his eyes all over me.

"Left again without letting anyone know, Ms. Murdock?"

I jump where I was standing, my lips pressing into a thin line to prevent me from yelling out a profanity that could wake everyone up in the house. Fucking shit!

It was obvious that I'm slowly getting used to the maids and the trusted butler but I still can't seem to get used to him popping around everywhere, scaring the shit out of me. One of these days, I'm going to spray him with the mace and it won't be because I was surprised, maybe it'll be because I'm done with him.

"Yes, Mr. Bald Man," I give him my best, obvious fake smile as I walk past him going up the stairs halfway before turning to him. "I'm a seventeen-year-old who happens to have a good sense of direction. So, if you excuse me—"

"You do know that just because you've gotten used to being alone," Roman walks to the end of the stairs, hand on the rails as he stares at me with concern. Huh. "doesn't mean that you have to go through what you're experiencing right now, alone."

There was this part of me wherein I wanted to tell him that I was never alone. I had my brother with me, the real one who has been there for me all along, but I knew better than that. I had to go through everything alone because I couldn't talk to anyone no matter how much Nate wanted to be there for me.