07

Arguments

__________

I fumbled my fingers as I stare at the door of my dad's work room. I was nervous at the moment but I have to talk to him. It was about my decision in college. I want to take arts as my major but I'm gonna have to get dad's approval which is nerve wrecking. He wants me to take the same course as him of course. He tells that to me over and over again but I didn't take it seriously thinking that I still have a lot of time to think about it. But now I'm running out of time and I already made up my mind. I went to high school that my father wanted to because it's the most popular school for heirs and soon to be businessmen or women. I went there because at that time I still didn't care about my future that time.

I'm planning to tell my father that I want to study in an arts academy so I could pursue my dream. But thinking that it was dad, makes me want to back out. There's no chance that dad would let me to even go there. It makes me wanna cry imagining him saying a cold 'no' to me. I want to run away knowing that he will never let me pursue what I want, but this is my dream. This is what I want and if it means I have to stand up on my own then I will.

I took a deep breath before bringing my knuckles on the door. I knocked softly and waited for him to answer. "Come in." I heard his baritone voice from the inside. I bit my lip and tightly shut my eyes. Another deep breaths and I opened my eyes as I turned the knob. Dad instantly glanced at me for a moment before bringing his eyes back on the papers in front of him. He didn't speak and I never uttered a word too. It's as if he was sensing why I was here. I just stood there in front of his working table, watching the man I love the most bury himself on those paper works.

I stared at him and thought, I never wanted to be like that. I never wanted to spend all my time in front of all those papers, almost neglecting his family. I don't ever want to make the same mistake. It hurts to say this but I don't want to have the same dream my father had. I would never take the path he took. Looking at him right now gave me the courage to speak for what I want. He may not want it but it's what I want.

"Dad," I called out but he didn't spare me a glance which made me sigh. "Hm?" Was all his answer. "Can I talk to you for a moment, please?" I said, the last word was almost a whisper. He looked up at me, wrinkles shown in his forehead. "About what, darling?" He asked taking out his glasses and putting it down on the table. I gulped before trying to speak. "About college, dad." I simply said while looking at him straight in the eyes. He nodded lightly and rested his elbows on the desk. His hands clasped tightly.

"What about it?" He stared back and I suddenly felt nervous. I know he's expecting it but he remained a straight face. I mustered up all the courage to speak. "I want to study in an arts academy." I said with a determination. He shut his eyes tightly and rubbed his forehead lightly. "I knew you'd say that." He tilted his head to the side and inhaled deeply.

"Saeron, darling you know where you have to study for college." Frustration was evident in his voice. "Yes dad, in an arts school. That's where I have to study for college." I crossed my arms as I watch him look at me with frustration and disappointment. "We already talked about this, Saeron." He said in his cold voice. "You have to study business!" He continued, almost shouting but I didn't even blink.

"And we already know what I wanted, dad. I want to pursue arts and not that damn business of yours." I said through gritted teeth. He stared back at me with rage. "Mind your language, young lady! You'll listen to what I say and you'll do what I want, do you understand?!" His voice roared inside the room. The corner of my eyes started to heat up, tears are threatening to flow but I didn't let it.

"No dad, I don't get it! I don't understand why you have to push me into your company when all I wanted was to do what I love the most!" My heart clenched as I fought the urge to cry. I can't be weak in front of him. I can't be weak when I want to speak up. "You really don't understand," Dad inhaled deeply again, then shook his head before looking at me. "This is the only thing we have, Saeron. This business is our everything. If it isn't for this company then I don't know our life would be." He spoke up calmly. His eyes calm as he look at me.