44: Spy

Exhilarated by their victories, they headed west with Hawk in the lead as he showed her the way he'd come. Delilah forgot about the harsh terrain and the discomfort of riding.

Their enemies were falling. Finally. She hoped Gaol's forces had taken a hit, too. She hoped he was remembering how he'd met her and Dante on Rhydderch's rooftops - and the memory was filling him with fear.

Night had fallen by the time they arrived at a cluster of tents atop a flat plateau. Delilah grimaced as she dismounted and her boots squelched into boggy earth, but she led her legion across the camp.

Fences had been hastily pegged down to create pens for the undead, and after Delilah was sure her captains had everything under control, she followed Hawk to the largest, grandest tent in the camp.

Dante's canvas palace was pure black, and the screaming phoenix banner flew beside it. Delilah and Hawk ducked inside, and Delilah felt like groaning at the warmth that washed over her. Her hands and feet were numb.

Dante was hunched over a table, where a map of the range was spread and little figures representing armies had been scattered across it. He looked up, his eyes shining with fervour, and Delilah felt warmth bloom in her chest in response.

"We're winning." Dante's voice was hoarse, as if he'd joined in with the undead and their howling battle-cries. "We've been striking them out of the blue - they won't know what to do now. They may even retreat, but we'll follow them if they do."

"Every single Anloch soldier went down," Delilah said, and stiffened when she spotted Kaya stood in the shadows of the tent. Kaya had a lost look in her eyes.

"Every Terran warrior, too," Hawk confirmed, also glancing at Delilah's friend.

Dante nodded and turned to Kaya. "Well? Has the Wing Commander sent you to sulk, or are you going to give me some interesting information?"

Kaya seemed to shake herself back into action. "We've been watching them from the skies." She sounded more subdued than usual. "The closest commanders are the Pelenans - as you know, they have ventured the furthest into the Monmouths."

Dante nodded, and Delilah realised with a flash of jealousy that he must have defeated the first Pelenan army himself.

"The king and his royal guard have set up camp only six mountains south of here. We could see the tents plainly from the skies."

"A target, most likely," Dante murmured. "They'll have most of their force assembled around the king."

A young soldier pushed his way in, carrying a tray of large stew bowls.

"Place them here." Dante pointed.

The boy hurried to set the tray down. He nearly tripped over his own feet as he bolted out again, flinging Dante a terrified glance before he disappeared.

Hawk snatched up a stew bowl and Delilah followed to claim one for herself. When had she last eaten? Before dawn? She was famished.

"We aren't going to march on Pelenu, because that's what they'll expect us to do," Dante said, frowning as Delilah and Hawk both slurped from their bowls, not bothering with spoons. "We're going to send spies in, find out what they plan on doing."

Kaya was wandering towards the tent entrance.

"Where are you going?" Delilah asked.

"Am I still needed?"

"No," Dante replied curtly.

Kaya's eyes were dull as if she wasn't really seeing the tent interior. Delilah felt a stab of worry as her friend ducked outside.