13 | back

13 | BACK

Elijah and Stas stood at the bar whispering comments about the whole situation like the nosy siblings they were

Elijah and Stas stood at the bar whispering comments about the whole situation like the nosy siblings they were. "Marcel will never be able to beat one of your creations, let alone all of them." Stas snickered as she sipped at her bubbly champagne.

"He can; with guile, courage, perhaps a bit of trickery. Admittedly, it's a longshot. But then, sometimes the new candidates surprise us." A new member joined the group: Tristan— the announcer of the challenge, and the assumed leader of the silly organization.

Stas and Elijah whipped around and eyed him carefully. "allow me to introduce myself. My name is Tristan de Martel. And you was to be the famous Anastázia Mikaelson. Or shall I say infamous... for your notorious power." Tristan carefully brought Stas' hand to his lips and pressed a light kiss on the back of her hand.

Stas snatched her hand back. "Pleasure is all mine, I see." Tristan muttered. Stas simply cocked her head and smirked devilishly at the honorable man.

Tristan then turned to Elijah. "Elijah, when I sent your invitation, I didn't dare think you'd come. Tell me, as a founder and patriarch, what do you make of our latest candidate?" Tristan inquired.

"Well, let me see, Marcel. He's arrogant, he stubborn, prone to self-aggrandizement. He should fit in perfectly." Elijah mocked subtly.

"If he survives." Tristan remarked.

Stas narrowed her eyes at Tristan. "I take it Mr. Gerard is a friend of yours?" Tristan asked the pair.

"A mutual, you could say. Nevertheless, I don't appreciate those who mock the skillfulness of  testing another's mind." Stas' brow quirked upward.

"Allow me to remedy that, and in so doing, I can explain our methods. Please. Just one dance, if it's not an intrusion." Tristan held out his hand for Stas.

Stas quickly took his hand, for she was too curious about this new mysterious character, and he led her out to the dance floor. The two danced as Stas analyzed him and his posterity.

Stas felt awkward to be dancing with another man in front of her brother, for she had never done that before. Because, when Stas attended parties with her family in the past— Niklaus would be there too. If any man ever dared to take Stas' hand in front of him, they would never see the light of day again.

"So, you're really going to kill my sister's sweetheart?" Stas questioned Tristan.

Tristan simply nodded. "I hope your sister was fond of intelligent men." Tristan then spun Stas.

When she returned to her arms she shot him an intriguing tilted smile. "They were never intelligent. But they were resourceful." She stated.

Stas and Tristan danced for a couple more songs before abrupt noises were sounded from the entrance of the building. All of the guests' heads shot over to the source. Two faces then appeared. Stas recognized one, Niklaus, and Tristan recognized the other, Lucien.

Stas and Tristan stopped dancing to process what was going on. "Greetings!" Lucien exclaimed. Both Niklaus and Lucien were being nosy, gaining the attention of the many guests and causing a ruckus.

The pair entered with many intoxicated, costumed girls by their sides. "My god. It's a room full of Elijahs." Lucien mentioned as he stumbled into the party, with Klaus following.

"I had that exact same nightmare once." Klaus recalled as he stared out into space for a brief moment.

Lucien dismissed the girls and they scattered. "Tristan! Come out, come out wherever you are!" Lucien called out.

Tristan let go of Stas as she hurried to slide her mask back onto her face before Klaus recognized her. Tristan excused himself as he walked through the mass of people and approached Klaus and Lucien.

"You should move along. You're not welcome here." Tristan stated nonchalantly to the drunkards.

"Oh. Okay. We're not welcome here," Klaus chuckled, "or maybe you should move along. Before I make you cry in front of all your little friends."

"My concern is for your companions. They appear out of sorts without a shiny pole to writhe upon." Tristan deadpanned.

Lucien snickered. "Oh, he's suggestion you're exotic dancers, which to him is an insult. If not somewhat hypocritical. But don't take it personally, love. He finds all work demeaning. The only dignified way to accumulate wealth is by birth. Isn't that right, Tristan?" Lucien buttoned his jacket formally to mock Tristan.

Stas watched him carefully from afar. His humor intrigued Stas and made her want to laugh, but, his exterior featured captured her attention the most— she grew quite fond of him within the short minutes that he was there. If only she knew what his name was, she'd be by his side making smart jokes.

"Niklaus." Elijah'a voice erupted into the room.

"What is it?" Niklaus asked, spinning around in a circle— confused.

Elijah floated out of the mass of people to reveal himself. "You're hammered." Elijah stated, smiling sarcastically.

"Which should come as very little surprised anyone here. But it does hampered the festivities somewhat. So, could I recommend that you find the nearest exit? And could you take your play things with you, too?" Elijah asked.

Niklaus bored his eyes into his brother's head and chuckled maliciously. "you know, are used to find it insulting that I was barred from your special little club. But now I realize I lack the flexibility to become a member. I could never get my head far enough up my own ass." Klaus mentioned.

Lucien and the whores Klaus picked up on the street giggled. Stas attempted to hold back her laugh, but her cute, little snort managed to sound. Klaus turned around to eye the person who laughed at his joke, and when his eyes landed on the blonde hair— he instantly knew that is was Anastázia.

"Stas?" He smiled widely. Stas huffed and crossed her arms.

"How'd you know?" Stas sighed, ripping off the mask from her face.

Niklaus neared his beloved sister and embraced her, not replying to her question. "You're back."

"You're drunk." Stas stated.

Klaus chuckled then his face dropped when he realized Stas wasn't around when Michelle popped up with some crazy news. "I have to tell you—" he began.

"I know all about it. But, what don't know is why you out here drinking when you have a baby—" Stas interrupted Klaus, then Klaus interrupted her by covering her mouth before she told the Strix about his new child.

He quickly grabbed her arm and yanked her out of the party. Lucien quickly followed behind, to avoid feeling awkward and alone at the party he crashed.