10 | monster

10 | MONSTER

Stas eyed her mother pitifully, sad to see someone with such little compassion for her own children put on a show in which she enacted her lovingness for her offspring

"Why don't you say what you came here to say so this wretched night can end?" Klaus was anxious to leave, his impatience drawing in the tension among the family closer. Their mother began circling the room, like a shark spying on its prey.

"It pains me that you three look at me with such disdain. Especially you Anastázia, after everything I did to protect you. I wish you could see that my every action has been to protect you." She finally sat down at the head of the table, alleviating some of the tension in the room. Stas scoffed.

"You actually believe that, don't you?" Klaus chuckled and paused.

"I knew you were a liar. But now I see you're utterly delusional." Klaus rolled his eyes.

Stas itched to ask her mother so many questions, but not in front of all her other siblings— it didn't feel right to speak about her great power that she possessed.

"If you can, forget the hatred that you cling to and remember all the times I've mended and healed you." Esther, their mother, attempted to have her children recall the few good memories.

Klaus snickered and Stas slumped in her seat, annoyedly. "Elijah, do you recall the day animals challenged your father to a duel? Did I leave your brother to die. . ." Stas quickly tuned out their chatting. She got bored easily and the family was just babbling at this point. Niklaus and her mother began to argue and Niklaus even threw a fit, but it wasn't interesting enough to divert her attention from looking at her split ends.

"And you, Anastázia, you should be more empathetic considering that you disowned your own family for a millennia. You should have guilt in your heart for it instead of hating me for trying to protect you three." Stas' mother reminded, pulling Stas back to reality to pay attention at the sound of her own name.

"I regret it, but I'm just not sad about it." Stas sarcastically sighed, picking at her nails, still finding the conversation interesting.

Her mother huffed and point a skinny finger at her. "After all I did to protect you in particular, after all the trouble I went through to make you keep your magic!" Her mother shouted.

"You didn't protect me. You created me into this monster, this plaything you tested your magic on for years as you stripped away my innocence of death and evil!" Stas raised her voice in return.

Her mother had a larger temperament than Stas, which was quite impressive. "I simply gave you the power, and you were the one to misuse it! You made yourself the monster you are today, and that is why I am here today to terminate you, you wretched little thing." She sneered.

Stas scoffed, crossing her arms and shaking her head. "Stas is the least evil of us all, she hates killing—" Klaus began to defend her.

Their mother clicked her tongue in disagreement. "No, that's what she wants you to believe. In reality, she loves to murder the innocent, it leaves a sweet aftertaste in her mouth— but she doesn't want her family to resume fearing her as they once did. Her manipulative ways make up for her lack of taking lives, but she still somehow manages to destroy them." Their mother informed. Stas huffed and shot up from the table, abandoning her place at the head of the table, and stormed out of the room— fuming, leaving her family to continue their discussion.

* * *

Stas couldn't help but to begin sobbing as she was in her room alone. Despite her mother being as treacherous as she was, Stas was much more monstrous. And everything her mother had said was true; she made herself a monster.

Stas couldn't bare to live as herself among of her brothers' pitiful eyes. She shoved all of her stuff into the luggage she had arrived in and zipped it all up, stomping out of the now empty house in the midst of the night, leaving to another country far far away.