⤿ part twenty eight: how they were everything

Zayn Malik

When Zayn had arrived at his parents home, their butler Mr Addington let him in.

"Hello Mr Malik," He smiled a warm smile. "We haven't seen you for a while, how have you been?"

Zayn's cheeks were tear streaked. He forced a smile. "I've been holding on,"

"That's well," Mr Addington took Zayn's jacket, not noticing the wet spots on the arm of the jacket where Zayn wiped had wiped his tears. "Mrs Malik is in the kitchen. There's about half of that cake she made left,"

"She made it?" Zayn raised his eyebrows. His mum wasn't much of a baker, let alone chef.

"After a try or two," Mr Addington chuckled. "Would you like me to call her?"

Zayn pulled his boots off. "I'm kind of a surprise,"

"Alright then, go on in Mr Malik,"

"Zayn," Zayn said, smiling a little. "I have to tell you every time to call me Zayn,"

"Okay Zayn," Mr Addington said. "Go on in Zayn,"

"Thanks Mr Addington," Zayn nodded and made his way down the long hallway to the kitchen.

Family photos surrounded him, and just made him feel even worse about himself.

When he had gotten to the kitchen, he saw his Mum, sat at the table picking at a slice of the rainbow cake.

To Zayn's surprise, it was even rainbow on the inside which caused Zayn's tears to come back.

Her laptop was opened beside her and sticky notes stuck almost everywhere on the counter.

She was still in her classic lawyer apparel, her hair tied in a ponytail.

"M-Mum?" Zayn spoke quietly.

His Mum looked up, her eyes full of tears as well. "Oh sunshine,"

She quickly got up from her seat at the counter and hugged Zayn ever so tightly, seemingly forever.

Zayn cried even more, holding his Mum against his now weakened body. 

"I'm sorry Mum," He finally managed to get out, and that's when his Mum parted with him and grabbed his shoulders.

"There is nothing to be sorry about," She said as the tears fell down her flushed cheeks. "You are the same strong, smart, beautiful boy I always had. You're still my Zayn and nothing will ever, ever change that,"

Zayn couldn't stop his tears as his Mum pulled him in for another hug.

"I love you so much Zayn," She said softly as Zayn's tears died down. "I love you more than anything in the world,"

Once all tears and emotions had died down quite a bit, Zayn sat at the counter with his Mum eating small bites of his rainbow cake.

"It's actually pretty good," Zayn said, finishing it off. "I couldn't believe you baked it,"

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," Zayn's mum scoffed. 

It was quiet as Zayn put his plate in the sink.

"Zayn?" His mum asked.

Zayn sat back down. "Yeah?"

His mum took a breath and took Zayn's hand in hers.

Zayn's heart could've stopped in that moment as it was beating unhealthily fast.

"Mum?" 

"He moved out Zayn," She said. 

"Who is he?" Zayn frowned, letting go of his Mum's hand. "I'm not following Mum,"