Eighteen.

Eighteen:

Standing with a blank expression on the side of the stone path, he titled his head backwards, allowing the sunlight to travel across his pale skin. Phil Lester let out an exhausted sigh of defeat. Contemplating was the contrary. Phil was torn between going to the police to say that Dan was missing, which would most likely result in him being held captive, or to spend endless amounts of hours searching for him. He was utterly confused. If Dan didn't show up soon, Phil would alone be kicked out of the bed and breakfast inn. Then that would leave him to travel the streets by himself, nowhere to go, clueless about what to do.

He missed Dan.

Groaning, Phil pushed away from the wall he'd been subconsciously leaning on. Taking long strides up the street path, Phil looked around, scanning every person he saw incase he caught a glimpse of Dan. Almost jumping out of his skin, a police car whirred past, sirens blasting at full volume and lights almost blinding him. Swallowing the lump in his throat, Phil began to walk quicker, making sure to stay hidden in the crowd of strangers.

In the distance, he could hear screaming. It wasn't from one person, but from many. People were being divided as far off, a person ran, making a path in the sea of people. Police were a way off, but they were chasing that person. Nobody around him seemed to batter an eyelid as they lazily moved out of the way for the person to get past.

Phil froze. Then, he rubbed his eyes vigorously. He couldn't believe what he was seeing. Was he dreaming?

It was Dan. Dan was being chased. Dan was running from the police.

Carelessly budging people aside, Phil waved his arms above his head, trying to get Dans attention as worry prickled his skin.

"Dan!" Phil yelled. When Dan made eye contact, Phil's heart skipped a beat. Dan looked worn out, beaten, there was blood down his arms. "Where have you been? What's going on? Dan, your ears and tail are showing." Phil rambled. He was almost beginning to cry; he'd been so worried about him. Suddenly, he frowned. "Where's your shirt?"

He could hear Dan choke back a laugh. "Don't just stand there, run!" Dan screeched, now appearing at Phil's side. Getting a good grip on Phil's arm, Dan hauled him along, almost making him fall over. "Dammit Phil. Where have you been? I got told you'd been caught and you were being held in prison."

"No." Phil gasped. "I've been here all along, I thought you left me." His eyes began to water and he bit his lip. "I thought you hated me."

"Who could hate you, Phil?" Dan snuck a glance at him over his shoulder. "You're..." He turned his head back and continued down the long stretch of path. There were too many things that he loved about Phil. It was impossible to pick out just one favourite. "You mean a lot to me, okay?" He hissed as he bumped into a passerby, knocking them over, craning his neck to yell an apology. Phil smiled wide, suddenly filled with pure delight.

"Dan, you're-"

"We should really save our breath for running." Dan interrupted, looking slightly embarrassed. Phil nodded, grinning goofily like a fool. They were about to cross the road when a police car sped in front of them, blocking their way. A door swung open, hitting Dan in the stomach. Stumbling, he fought to keep his balance. Phil held him upright, spinning him round to go in the other direction. But, police officers by the dozen were storming towards them from that way. Phil pulled Dan out of the way just in time to narrowly avoid another door that was thrown open.

"Dan." Phil whined, shivering.

"I thought I said to-"

"I love you." Phil whispered, hugging Dans side.

Turning to face each other, Phil smiled weakly. He shrugged helplessly. "We're not going to make it."

"We will, we just need to run." Dan stepped closer to Phil, chest heaving with every deep breath he took. He wrapped an arm around Phil's waist protectively as his eyes narrowed at the police officers growing closer. One police officer from the car stepped out, handcuffs dangling from his hands.

"Come on." Dan groaned desperately, tail swaying, flicking at Phil to beckon him to understand and to agree.

Phil pondered, eyes flickering from the police officers, then to Dan. "I can't run anymore. I understand completely if you go." Phil gestured to Dans ears and reached forward, his index finger lightly stroking over the edge of one.

"Right. No." Dan shook his head. "Whatever decision you choose I'll stick by you. We'll get through this together." He caressed Phil's cheek, gazing at him lovingly. Phil let a chuckle slip from his lips and he nuzzled himself into Dans chest. He had a decision to make. It wouldn't be easy deciding, but he needed to, and fast.

Would he choose to run? To be runaways. With Dan by his side it didn't seem all that bad. But to forever be on the run, never knowing what's lurking around the corner? They had no place to stay. They had no money. Staying on the streets could be dangerous. How would they get by?

Or to hand himself in? This would mean, although he wouldn't have to run no more, he'd be away from Dan. Maybe they'd see each other a little, while eating, or when it's time to have a break from the cells. They'd be in the same place. But what would other people there be like? How long would their sentence be? Plus, they'd for sure be curious about Dan. He was inhuman. He felt sick just thinking about what they would do to him to see just how he got those ears and tail.

Each option sounded dangerous. Each option sounded scary. They got in this mess together, then they'd get out of it together.

Taking a deep breath, Phil took a final glance around himself. Then, he stared deep into those dreamy chocolate irises, belonging to the man he adored.

"I've made my decision."