Two.

Two:

Standing silently outside of a familiar door, Phil hugged his armful of belongings closer to his chest. His trip to see the staff had been both successful and disappointing. Luckily, his stuff had been found, although it was purposely disposed of in the first place. Dan had already paid a visit to the staff of the university in an attempt to get Phil moved, but had failed. So, to try and get his own way, he believed the best idea was to chuck Phil's belongings out. That was most likely why Dan had been so shocked to find Phil in his room. He had already found out he would have to share a room and was having none of it. Not wanting his new acquaintance to hate him, Phil had tried desperately himself to be moved, just to keep the peace, but it was merely impossible. And now he was back standing where he had been an hour ago, only this time, he felt completely out of it. All he wanted to do now was sleep. With the door inches from his face, it was now or never. Pushing the door open a fragment, Phil peeked inside to find Dan sitting at a desk, distracted, typing away on his laptop. Phil stepped inside, forcing the door firmly closed.
"It didn't work then?" Dan questioned, not turning his head to look at Phil.
Phil shook his head. "No, I'm sorry. I tried, but-"
"What a disappointment." Dan groaned, exhaling loudly.
Phil's eyes widened and he pouted. The conversation was going downhill. Just then, Dan rose from where he was seated. Slowly making his way to the corner of the room, he pushed the beds apart, kicking his clothes under one of them.
"Doesn't matter. I'm knackered, so I'm gonna get some rest. You probably should too." Dan spoke calmly, turning back to pack his laptop away.
With a single nod, Phil claimed one of the beds, that didn't have his roommates junk around it, his, by resting his lion toy gently on the pillow. Walking into the connecting bathroom, Phil locked the door. Changing into some pyjamas, he brushed his teeth sparkly clean, then afterwards shuffled effortlessly back to bed. Once Dan had finished in there, he went over to the light switch, ready to turn the lights out when Phil suddenly spoke up.
"You're wearing your hat to bed?"
Dan shrugged his shoulders, clearly looking a tad uncomfortable.
"Is that a problem?" His voice was broken - sad even.
Not understanding the whole issue, Phil stared blankly at him, making Dan agitated. He flipped the switch and the room grew dark. All Phil could hear was Dans quiet, muffled footsteps on the carpet, the quilt being tossed back with a roar, and then there was silence.

Waking up with a jolt, Phil's bright blue eyes flickered as they tried to adjust to the harsh sunlight pouring through the light curtains. The first thing Phil did was look over to Dan, who was curled up in his duvet like it was a cocoon. Hushed breathing from the sleeping Dan mixed with far away bird chirps entered Phil's ears, and he relaxed, feeling peaceful. There was not much time left before he would have to get ready for his first day of lessons at university. But for now, he cherished the tranquility. Beginning to wonder about his classes, he thought about what Dan could have chosen, and figured with his sass and quick to flare personality, he definitely would've picked acting. Sheets began to stir, and Phil noticed, at last, Dan was waking up.
"Morning." Phil cooed. "Just a little while longer till classes start. We should probably get ready now."
Dan let out a grumpy muster of words Phil couldn't understand, and rolled over.
"Why-" Dan began, but his voice cracked and he coughed to start again. "Why are you whispering?"
Phil smiled a perfect, wide grin, his tongue appearing ever so slightly at the corner of his mouth.
"It's nice when it's quiet."
Dan thought about this for a second or two, then nodded in agreement, shifting himself to sit up. He then pulled the sides on his hat down as if to make sure it was still there.
"Yes, your silly hat is still there." Phil teased. "If it's an insecurity, I'm sure you'd look better without it."
Dan gasped as if he'd been stung by Phil's words, shaking his head over and over. "No. You don't understand."
"I don't understand because you haven't told me about it yet." Phil wanted to know, but was worried that if he would push it, Dan would go back to being harsh with him, just like he was when they first met.
"And I'll never tell you about it." Dan was talking softly, yet Phil could have sworn he heard a firm defiant tone in there.
Phil frowned, tossing his head back dramatically. "We'll see about that!"
He then sprung up from his bed and marched to the bathroom.
Dan hid his face in his hands, letting out a sigh of relief, fearfully hoping that Phil would never bring up the subject again.