Ten.

Ten:

The entire room went deadly silent except for the hushed, howling wind to be heard coming from outside. It was only now that Phil noticed Dans clothing missing from the swamp of junk around the beds. He normally wouldn't pay attention to that, it was something he'd grown used to - Dans belongings being scattered across the whole room. Surely Dan would've told him if he'd known that transport was coming today, right?
"No." Phil chuckled sourly. "Dan, tell me she's made a mistake."
Phil's fingers were knotted in front of him. The staff lady shifted uncomfortably and looked between the two roommates.
"I'll leave you two alone now. Daniel, make sure to be at the front entrance in ten minutes." She urged, throwing her long blonde curls over her shoulder as she escaped out the room, heels vibrating on the carpet as she walked. Phil trekked over to the door, slamming it closed. Then, he stood in front of it, arms draping by his sides. Sternly narrowing his eyes at Dan, he repeated himself. "Tell me she's made a mistake, Dan."
"You're not going to block the door and keep me held hostage in here, are you?" Dan asked jokingly, eyebrows raised.
"I'll keep you here all night if I have to." Phil informed, making Dan smirk. "This isn't funny, I'm scared, Dan! What if I never see you again?" Phil's voice was verging on hysterical, his cries getting louder. "You probably spent the whole day packing and sorting this out, didn't you? You lied to me."
Dans face suddenly darkened, his eyes hazing over as he looked around the room as if he was searching for something. "Phil, you gave me the strength to get out of here. I'm grateful. Really grateful. But I need to leave now." He paused, eyes locking with Phil's. "We'll meet again, I'll make sure of it, okay?"
Phil sniffled, moving slowly out the way of the door. Dan smiled warmly at him, shuffling over to his bed before crouching down next to it. Reaching his hands in the gap underneath the bed, he pulled out his suitcase. Just as Phil had expected, all of Dans belongings were packed away in there. Dan zipped it closed, standing and hoisting it up with him. Phil couldn't even look at Dan now without feeling the need to cry. He felt as if he would shatter to pieces as soon as Dan would leave.
"I'm going to be so alone, Dan." He murmured quietly, head down, hair falling into his face.
Dan wandered over to him, his free arm scooping the boy who was falling apart into his chest. Phil's body shook once as he let out an unsteady breath. Nodding, Phil then stepped back.
"Okay, go. I'll be okay." His tone had a hint of uncertainty in it.
Shuffling over to the door, Dan opened it ajar, taking one last look around the room, then taking one long last look at Phil. "I'll see you later. And thanks Phil, for everything."
And just like that he was gone.
Phil waited until he could no longer hear Dans footsteps growing distant before he broke down, letting out all of his emotions that he'd been trying to keep hidden in the last few minutes.

Forcing his suitcase into the tight space at the back of the car, Dan groaned when he realised his hands were shaking. Stomach churning uneasily, for some reason, Dan felt extremely nervous.
Shutting the door to the back of the car, he then clambered into the front passenger seat alongside one of the staff drivers. The staff member tapped their fingers on the steering wheel in time with the music blaring out from the radio. Their eyes were dull and they looked as if they hadn't slept in days. They didn't bother trying to make small talk, it was as if they wanted to get this over and done with because they had better things to do with their time.
Yanking on the seatbelt, it took three attempts to get it to work. Dan wasn't sure whether it was because he was rushing out of anxiousness, or because the car was basically ancient. After he buckled himself in successfully, his head lolled back. Inhaling through his nose, exhaling through the mouth, he closed his eyes.
"You ready to go?" The staff member said, sounding bored.
Not waiting for an answer, Dan heard a few clicks and then the engine roared to life, before the staff member moved the car out of the parking space.
Dan fidgeted, unable to keep still. Mind blocking out everything except for the memory of Phil's face.
Phil would keep his secret. Phil would miss him. Phil would be alone.
Then reality hit Dan and his eyes flickered open.
Phil would be alone.
Phil would be alone just like Dan had been for all these years. All alone in that gigantic university. A new space for a student to enter would open up. They'd be placed into Phil's room.
Dan glanced out the window, the heat in the car increasing.
What if they were mean to Phil?
Dan gulped.
What if they would like like Phil?
And what if...
"Fuck." Dan shouted, earning a questionable look from the driver.
They raised a brow.
"Is everything alright?"
How could Dan have been so stupid? He was thinking about himself this whole time and didn't stop for a second to think about the outcomes his happiness would have on Phil. Holding his head in his hands, he cussed multiple times under his breath.
Then, he turned his head up to look at the driver.
"I need to go back there." Dan exclaimed, his expression serious.
The staff member shook their head.
Dan wondered what the impact of injury would be like if he was to jump out of the car while it was moving.
"It's important. I left something behind!" He desperately pleaded.
Although the staff member shook their head for the second time, the car entered a turning and halted.
Next thing Dan knew, he was on his way back to the university.