Sixteen.

Sixteen:

"Let me explain myself!" Dan screamed. These people were twisting his words. He couldn't handle this. Hours had passed by since he had first been forced into the cramped, claustrophobic interrogation room. A frustrated sigh was heard from the police officer who had dragged him in here, as the man leaned forward to stop the tape recording for the eleventh time. The police had provided Dan with a lawyer shortly after he had entered the station. It didn't take Dan long to explain the whole situation to the lawyer, who seemed extremely over-enthusiastic with the ordeal at first. Now the lawyer looked as if he was about to fall asleep at any given moment. The policeman cleared his throat, eyes narrowing at Dan, before he turned to his colleague.
"All he has told us is he used violence towards a man for no reason. We're not getting anywhere." He shifted some papers around, then clasped his hands in front of him on the table. "I need a coffee, do you want anything?"
Although the question was aimed at the policeman's partner, Dan chimed in. His throat was dry from all the talking he'd been having to do. "Water, please."
The officer got up from his chair, glaring at Dan. If looks could kill.
"I'm fine. I have some questions I'd like to ask Daniel." The lady officer chirped. Once the man had left, she tapped the record button on the taping and scooted her chair closer to the table, rustling papers around.
"Continuing where we left off, it is now 5:08." Her eyes landed on Dans. "Would you tell us where Phil is, Daniel?" Suddenly, her sweet side vanished. With a devilish smirk, she folded her arms across her chest, eyes boring holes into Dan. He was going to have to think about his answers to the next set of questions very carefully. What would Phil do if Dan gave up where he was hiding - should he lie?
"Well, he-" Dan began, pulling the sides of his hat down out of nervousness. He coughed, scratching his chin. "He, uh."
The policewoman looked amused, as if fighting the urge to laugh. Was this all one big joke to her? Did she enjoy making a living out of making people feel vulnerable?
"I haven't seen him since I left university." Dan exclaimed with a serious expression.
"That's funny." She replied quickly after, elbows on the table as she rested her chin on her hands. "Because he's in the room next to ours." Dans eyes widened. "Telling us a completely different story."
Now the room fell deadly silent. The lawyer looked uncomfortable.
"That was uncalled for." He turned to look at Dan. "You don't have to answer any questions if you don't want to."
Dan couldn't breathe. She couldn't be telling the truth, could she? He needed that glass of water before he passed out in the middle of questioning. The room began to spin, the walls slurring as if they were a mere fragment of his imagination and he was waking up from a bad dream. How badly Dan wished that all of this was just one big nightmare.
"Next question." The lady's crooked smile returned. "Where have you been staying if you haven't been in university?"
"No comment." Dan hissed.
She rolled her eyes. "Is that going to be your answer for all of the questions from now on?"
Closing his eyes, Dan tilted his head back, letting out a cheeky snicker. "No comment."
The policewoman practically launched herself out of her chair, it flying backwards. "For not cooperating with the interrogation, Daniel Howell will be held until further notice for the next questioning session." She punched the button on the tape recorder to make it stop recording. "Session over."
Flinging herself at the door, she almost bumped into her colleague who had a bewildered expression planted on his face. He was clutching a glass of water in one hand and a coffee in the other.
Tapping her index finger to the glass of water, she growled. "He won't be needing that. Take him down to the cells."
Without further ado, she whizzed past him, leaving him awkwardly hovering in the doorway, unsure of what to do. The lawyer patted Dans shoulder, shaking his head and muttering an apology.
"Better get you examined first then." The officer notified Dan, edging closer to where Dan was seated.
"Examined?" Dan blinked, suddenly feeling uneasy.
"Got to make sure you aren't harbouring any drugs or stuff like that." The policeman said, yawning wide.
Dans stomach lurched. This was it. This was what he had been dreading. They would find him out. There was no escape for him now.

"Dan?" Keys jangling in his hand, two blue eyes peered around the empty room. It had only been a few minutes since he had left to get some snacks, but Dan was nowhere to be seen.
After the disagreement, Phil needed a walk to clear his head, so as he promised, he bought some food for him and Dan to share. Frowning, Phil walked over to bathroom door. He suddenly remembered the cockroach he had seen, so he cautiously knocked on the wooden frame.
"Dan?" Phil yelled. "You in there?"
When there was no reply, Phil ignored his cowardice and checked the handle to see if the door was locked. But, the door swung open with a creak, revealing a dirty, empty bathroom. Guilt washed over Phil. Their last words to eachother hadn't exactly been nice ones. Did Dan leave him? Phil's mouth hung open. What if Dan was in trouble?
Hours flew by. He had decided to try to sleep more; to block out any bad thoughts. But he was restless and tossed and turned, having no luck with drifting into a dreamy sleep. Many bad thoughts had erupted through his brain, but he never would've thought that Dan would be spending the night cooped up in a prison cell, having the most unimaginable worst night of his existence.