The Darkest One Ch. 10 A Double Date and Two Third Wheels (Edited)

Kendra to the side -->

Chapter 10 A Double Date and Two Third Wheels

“Remember!” I yelled as everyone piled out of the elevator, “Jet, Kendra and I are going to the movies at four. Somebody keep track of Kole please!”

I got a series of “yeas.” and “okays.”

“Do not call me!” I yelled again, “No one calls me.” No one replied that time, but that was expected. No one, and I mean no one, called me when I was at the movies. It was like asking for a death wish. I can’t stand being called during the movies. It was annoying and disruptive, it totally interrupted the flow of the movie, and I always forgot to turn it off so I was that person. The one that got glared at because they didn’t turn their phone off. Kole was already halfway to his room by the time I caught up to him, “So how was school?”

“It was fine.” He replied.

“Really?” I asked, not believing him. For the past week I’ve gotten, ‘School is great!” “School is amazing!” “When can I go back?’, and now I’m getting ‘Its fine’?

“Angel’s parents found out I was an angel.” he said, “And now he can’t play with me anymore.”

“Ah, Kole… it’s going to be okay. You’ll make plenty of friends.” Even I doubted my words and I thought he could tell. As an angel, it was going to be hard to make friends. Sometimes I didn’t see the point of it; don’t get me wrong I was grateful for Tyler and Emma, but one day I was going to leave them. I always felt a little bit guilty, I knew they’d do anything for me but I’d have to leave them in a heartbeat.

“Like who?” he asked. He turned to face me as he dropped his Spiderman man backpack on to the floor, “None of the unnaturals parents will let their kids play with me!” He was angry.

I knelt down next to him, “I’m sure they’ll come around soon.” No they wouldn’t but I wasn’t able to say that to him, “Kole. There are ten of us. What are the odds that the seven year old is one of the three?” He looked at me, hope in his eyes, “Logic will eventually get through to them.” I said with a certainty I didn’t feel.

“When will that happen?”

I sighed, “I don’t know… but for now… stick with the humans.”

“The humans?”

“Yeah, you’ll be safer with the humans for now.” He didn’t say anything for a while and I nudged him slightly, “Promise me?” I held up my pinkie.

He smiled and hooked his smaller pinkie around mine, “Promise.”

“Good. Now go do your homework.” I said, pointing to his bag on the floor.

He groaned and glared the bag on the ground. ”Okay but then I get to play with my dinosaurs right?”

“Right.”

I watched him go into his room and then I walked into the kitchen. I grabbed the lucky charms from the bottom cabinet. Lately it was all Kole would eat and I was thinking it was just a phase. At least I was hoping it was a phase; all that sugar cannot be good for him. I left it on the counter, I was sure someone was going to feed him.

I left the kitchen on the hunt for the movie tickets. I had left them on one the tables that were scattered about but they weren’t there now. It didn’t really surprise me much, this past week, everything had been moving around on me. I pulled out the couch cushions. I thought maybe the tickets fell in between them but no, they weren’t not there. Where else could they be? Surveying the room, I walked over the DVD cases searching between all of them. Then I look under the TV stand and under the table yet the tickets still eluded me.