The Darkest One Ch. 8 The Fluke (Edited)

Oliver to the side -->

Chapter 8 The Fluke

The jingle of a cell phone ringer and vibrating brought me out of my depressed state. We were still in the car, only a few minutes away from the apartment. I had been distracted the whole ride home. I glanced around the car in surprise. I almost forgot why I was looking around in the first place. The phone! It was ringing. I reached for it but it stopped and the missed call message popped up on the screen. I noticed it was Savannah’s number. I went to call it back but it started ringing in my hand. I wasted no time and put it on speaker.

“Savannah?” I asked tentatively. I felt as if I was going to collapse in a fit of sobs at any moment now.

“Emilia, thank God.” I heard Savannah sigh in relief.

“Is there any news?” I asked once I was sure my voice wasn’t going to crack.

“Yes-“

“Good or bad news Savannah, good or bad?” I quickly interrupted. I needed to know. Had he been found? Was he safe?

“It’s good news, I promise.”

“Well what is it?” Hurry up, I silently pleaded. This whole day has been crummy; I buried Texas, watched a man die, and Kole was missing.

“The police, they found him.”

“They did? They found Kole?”

“Where is he now?” I glanced at Damien. He looked relieved. He stopped speeding as he waited for her answer.

“The cops are bringing him to the apartment now. You’re almost here right?”

Damien nodded slightly. He shook his head and answered, “Yeah, less then five minutes away.”

“See you soon then.”

I took one sweeping look at the city out the window. I could see other people, most of them were unnaturals, but there was some humans dotted around the busy city sidewalks. They laughed and talked and carried on with their business as if nothing horrible had just occurred. But of course nothing horrible happened to them, it only happened to us. It hadn’t affected the outside world at all. With one last turn Damien parked the jeep. I got out and rushed into apartment building. Way too much had happened today. At least not all of it ended horribly.

I threw open the lobby door and ran in Vincent by the elevator. He was a pain in the ass last night. I didn’t want to deal with him at the moment and I hissed, “Why are you here Vincent?”

 “I heard about Kole.” Vincent said softly.

“The police found him.” Damien replied curtly , “And he’s okay.” Damien added as an afterthought. I guessed Damien still had a problem with Vincent.

“That’s great.” Vincent said, probably ignoring Damien's curt tone. “But how is everyone else?”

“Why do you want to know?” I asked a little harshly. I didn’t mean to be but as of right now I was finding it a little troubling to keep everything under control. I wanted to get upstairs as soon as possible. I had to see Kole for my own eyes.

Vincent sighed and then he answered, “Okay, so I know I wasn’t the best last night.. but I did like you guys. So, how is everyone?”

Damien answered truthfully, “I’m not sure, we’ve only spoken to Savannah so far… we just got back."

Vincent nodded, “And you two?”

Luckily the elevator dinged again and neither of us had to answer. The doors slid open and the three of us piled in. It was silent on the ride up. When we reached my floor I pulled out my apartment key card and stuck it into the slot, near the top of button section. The doors dinged and they opened silently.