The Darkest One Ch. 9 Blood (Edited)

Drew to the side --->

Chapter 9 Blood

I was awakened by little hands grasping my shoulder and shaking me. It had been a long and sleepless night. I jumped at every little sound that went bump in the night. It scared the hell out of me. I thought they would continue all night long. I felt eyes staring into my soul for the rest of the night, long after I had closed the door.

Tiredly, I blinked open my eyes only to find myself staring in big brown eyes. More awake now, I scanned Kole's face. He had a large smile drawn across his face. His skin looked healthy and his eyes bright; he didn't look like he had last night at all.

"What's for breakfast?" Kole was back. I stretched my tired limbs and yawned. I sat up slowly and rubbed the sleep out of my eyes. The entire time Kole stared bright eyed.

“What do you want for breakfast?”

“Cereal.”

"Let’s go then.”

I jumped out of bed while he ran out of the room. I heard his little feet pound against the floor and then the sound faded out. I stretched again and then followed him to the kitchen. He was sitting at the island, his feet swinging back and forth. I pulled out the cereal and then the milk and everything else that I needed. The bowl made a clink against the counter when I set it down. I barely took my hand away before he descended on it.

The contractors had finally finished the kitchen remodel, while Damien and I had been at the wall. I had nice light gray, almost white, granite top, stainless steel appliances, and all new sets of plates, cups, and baking stuff. I loved my kitchen; it was really nice to have a finished kitchen.

When Kole was almost done with his cereal, I sat done with my eggs, and the others started piling in. Damien was the first and plopped himself next to Kole. He reached across the counter and pulled my plate of eggs towards him and took my fork.

“Oh don’t mind me.” I complained.

“I won’t.”

“Make your own breakfast!” I tried to reach over and get it back but his arms effectively blocked the plate. I hadn’t even gotten a bite!

Jet walked in the room. I saw him pause and then he looked at me. He put his finger to his mouth; the universal sign of silence. He walked up behind Damien and in one quick swoop he lifted the plate of scrambled eggs away from him.

“Hey!” Damien protested immediately and then looked at me, “Why didn’t you warn me?”

“They were my eggs.”

“Now their mine.” Jet said through a mouthful of eggs. He stood against the wall and shoved eggs into his mouth.

“Dude! Not fair!” I whined, “And don’t talk with your mouth full.”

“Life isn’t fair.”

“Don’t talk with your mouth full.” Damien corrected automatically.

I got up to make more eggs. By the time I was making my second plate almost everyone had made their way to the kitchen. Every time I piled my plate high with scrambled eggs one of them came up, said thanks, and took off with my eggs. They seemed to not realize that I wasn’t making food for them. By the time I finally got to eat eggs everyone else had finished and gone off to do something. Jet was right. Life just wasn’t fair.

On Monday morning I was in full panic mode. I stood in the middle of the hallway running my hand through my hair. The car keys! Why was it that I lost the keys so many times? I put them in the same exact spot every day! How did I keep losing them?