Chapter Fourteen: The Holidays

Aesha’s POV

 It’s been a few weeks already since that day when Cole was mad at me. We never spoke again since, and I’m beginning to get worried. It was already winter break and I can tell he’s getting weaker and weaker every day. I just hope he’s okay.

Brent’s still the same, Kennedy and I have been hanging out, and Cylene and the two of us, too. Cole went back to the popular group and he’s ignoring me. The twins aren’t talking to each other either.

I wanted to tell Cole that I was sorry. I wanted to admit my feelings to him, just like he did to me. But I never had the chance. Why can’t I redo things?!

“Aesha, sweetie, breakfast time!” Mom called out from downstairs. I looked at myself in front of the mirror again. Pony-tailed hair, a simple baggy t-shirt, white pants and sneakers. Perfect.

“I’m coming!” I answered. I ran out of my room and down the stairs, towards the kitchen. Sean was there, busy with his Ipad. My sister was nowhere to be seen.

“Sweetie, can you please wake your sister up?” mom asked. I nodded and headed to Shaelon’s room, which was somewhere near mine.

I cautiously knocked on the door. No sound came out.

I knocked again.

Still nothing.

Slowly, but carefully, I opened the door to reveal my sister sleeping. Her brown hair was a morning mess and her arm was covering her eyes. And she seems to be snoring softly. I walked over to her bed and she suddenly jerked out of her sleep.

“Aesha!” she grumbled. I can’t remember her to be a light sleeper…

“Sorry, Mom told me to wake you up,” I apologized. She pulled her covers closer to her, “Yeah, wake me up. Not turn my room into snow world,”

I blinked a couple times, “It’s that cold? I’m that cold right now?”

She rolled her eyes, “Yes! Do you even know what season it is now?”

Shaelon sighed in frustration and got off her bed, “Stay here while I get ready,” she said, “We’ll go down together.”

I patiently waited for her to take a nice morning shower and change her clothes. Then, she emerged from the bathroom, fresh and clean.

Shaelon sat on her bed, combing her hair in place. “Can I ask you something?” she said while I nodded.

“Are you on my side… or Sean’s?”

That made me all full focus on her. Why is she making me pick sides? They’re both my favorites, nobody’s greater nor less. But why, Shaelon?

“Shae, I don’t pick any side,” I replied, “If I could, I’ll choose both of you.”

She scowled at me, “What if Sean’s the bad one? What if I prove that to you? Well, he tried to hurt me with scissors in front of our friends!”

That made me wince a little. She’s got a point. Whatever she did to Sean, he had no right to hurt her like that. But I remembered what happened that day, when we were all alone in the hallway.

“But that doesn’t explain why you were acting so mean few weeks ago. It was like you were torturing him emotionally.” I blurted out. I didn’t mean to defend you, Sean. But it felt like Shaelon did something wrong, too.

“He deserved it. He’s a liar and a stealer,” I can hear Shaelon mumble.

Just when I was about to say what was that all about, Mom’s voice filled the room, “Girls, get down here now!”