HD ~ Chapter Sixteen

Start from the beginning

I felt him let out a large sigh and hold me tighter. I knew that I never wanted this to end and it made me angry to know would. Fate never wanted me to be happy. It was always screwing with me and I didn't know how to control it. I didn't want much in my life, but I could never get the few things I did want.

"Why are you crying?" Cole murmured.

I hadn't realized I was. I quickly reached up to swipe underneath my eyes. "Sorry, it's nothing," I whispered. "Go back to sleep."

Cole lifted himself on his forearms to get a better look at me. His eyes softened as they looked into mine. "Talk to me, Felicity."

I wanted to tell him everything at that moment. I hated keeping all these secrets from him. I was afraid that he'd reject me, but I was exhausted from having to keep everything bottled up inside. "I need to tell you something, Cole."

He opened his mouth to reply, but was cut off when there was a loud knock on the door. "Cole, we have a situation," Declan called from outside the room.

Cole sighed and rolled off of me. He got off the bed and headed for the closet. I sat up and pulled the sheets around my body. Cole came out of the closet wearing a pair of sweatpants and a T-shirt. "Stay here," he told me. "I'll be back soon." He quickly left the room, leaving me in a cold bed.

I closed my eyes in defeat. "Is this a sign?" I asked, looking up at the ceiling. "Am I supposed to live a miserable life without him and die alone?"

After a few minutes, I'd have enough of my little pity party and decided to get out of bed. If there was a situation, then it probably involved my pack anyway. If it involved my pack, then it would be my business.

It wasn't like Cole would stop me from listening in anyway. He knew how I felt about my pack. I wasn't planning on going back there for any reason. After I was done here, I was supposed to leave the area. Little did he know I wasn't planning on leaving. I wanted to spend as much time as I could here. The thought of saying goodbye to Cole was heart wrenching.

I threw on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt before slipping out of the room and wandering down the hall. The second floor was quiet so I guessed everyone was either asleep or downstairs dealing with whatever situation was going on. I quietly made my way downstairs and headed towards Cole's office.

The door was open and I could hear people talking. Declan, Jack, and Dustin were in the and forming a semi-circle around Cole and two other men. One of them I recognized from being at dinner from time to time. He must've been out scouting and found something. I couldn't quite get a good look at the other man in the room so I crept closer.

I overheard the scout saying, "Found him in the woods half a mile from the house. Says he was looking for you."

Cole spoke up then. His voice was hard and more professional. I hadn't heard him sound like that in a while. He sounded colder and distant. Not like the man I've come to love. "What was it that you wanted from me?"

"To join you," came another voice. It was a voice I vaguely recognized.

Without thinking, I pushed past Jack and Declan and came face-to-face with a man I could've gone my entire life without ever seeing again. "Garrett?"

Everyone's eyes turned towards me and so much happened so fast. Garrett looked at me with a mixture of shock and anger. Cole looked surprised and then furious. Jack and Dustin immediately seized Garrett and Declan pulled me behind him.

"Lock him up," Cole growled out.

Jack and Dustin struggled to get Garrett out the door as he thrashed against them before the scout jumped in to help. I knew I had just jeopardized whatever mission he'd been sent on and he was probably fuming. He looked at me and managed to ground out, "How could you do this? You're with them. You're a traitor to your pack!"