Part 13

So we left. To the police station. James and Tris are right. I need to report this. I’m 19 years old. I’m not under age anymore. I’m a grown up. He needs to stop beating me. He deserves a punishment. It was quiet at the police station. There was a man sitting behind the sort of reception. “Good morning, can I help you?” he asked, very politely. “I would like to report something.” “Sure, what happened. Robbery? Or..?” “Erm... It’s.. Erm...” I stuttered, and looked over to James and Tristan who were now sitting on the chairs. Tristan nodded, like he wanted to say I’m doing the right thing to report it.

“Do you want to talk to a female police officer?” “I don’t know..” I stuttered. “Wait for a minute. I will call officer Moore. She’s a really sweet police officer. What’s your name by the way?” “Caitlin Roberts.” I said. “Ok. Thank you. You can go and sit with your friends if you want to.” I just nodded. “This is harder than I thought it would be. How do I need to say it?” I asked to the boys. “You just need to be honest. Tell the truth. Tell how it started, and what happened yesterday.” James said. A few minutes later, officer Moore came downstairs. “Good morning, how can I help you?” she asked, with a smile on her face. “Or you know what, just follow me to my office.” “Can my friends come too?” “Sure, of course.” she smiled. Her office was on the second floor. She invited us in, and immediately asked if we wanted to drink something.

 “So, tell me. You wanted to report something. Did someone hurt you? ” she asked. “Yes.” “Sexually?” “No. Only beating. Nothing sexual.” “Explain me.” she said. I looked around. James and Tristan were standing behind me. Yet, I was still so scared. “It’s my father.” “Well, that makes it more... difficult. Take all the time you need and tell me everything.” Officer Moore said.

 My parents got divorced 2 years ago. My mother left us without saying anything. On one day, she was gone. We then found out she had something with her boss. After the divorce, my father started drinking. And he started to get aggressive. On a night when I had spilt some water on the floor, he slapped me in my face. That was the first time. Since then, it hasn’t stopped. Yesterday night, I had invited Tristan at my place. At first he wasn’t home, but a few minutes later he arrived. He got so angry I had brought a boy home. Tristan is only one of my best friends but my father thought something else. He started beating me again, in the kitchen. I was hoping Tristan wouldn’t notice but he did. He got in between, and my father beat him too. He had a bleeding nose.” I explained and looked up at Tristan.

 “Tristan, you can also report this if you want to.” Officer Moore said. “Yeah, I know.” Tristan said. “How old are you, Caitlin?” “I’m 19.” “Not under age anymore. That’s good. We need this statement on paper. Are you sure you want to do this, Caitlin? You do know your father can go to jail then?” “I know. I know. But... Isn’t there some other punishment he can get? I mean... Going to jail..” I sighed. “Another possibility is rehab. So he can get off the drinks and stuff. And learn to control himself.” “Yeah, that’s better. I really don’t want him to go to jail. Okay, he needs a punishment for what he did but rehab is a good punishment. He needs to learn to control himself.” “Ok. I will write this down, with the rest of your story.”