Chapter Twenty Six: Isn't Red The Devil's Color?

A/N: Hello, all my favorite readers out there in world! :D

Oh, how I have missed you all. The HUGEST thank you for making TED be #162 on Teen Fiction for a whole week! This dream would be impossible to attain without you.

PLEASE make sure to FOLLOW ME to receive updates on new chapters! :)

Without further delay, here's the next chapter, and LET ME TELL YOU, you are in for a surprise! Don't say I didn't warn you! ;)

Happy Reading! x

Do you do this often too?

Boyfriend number I-can't-remember was this philosophical douche who read Kant more than he did my texts. He was an annoying partner but my conversations with him did radically open up my mind, especially to existentialism. He taught me the figurative 'Take back a step and observe' idea and it stuck, even though he didn't.

I was seated in one of the plush couches that furnished Nate's apartment, sipping on my Sprite. Mr. and Mrs. Smith were hosting a Christmas party, so we were naturally invited. Of course, when it's business tycoons that are responsible for the arrangements, you know it's going to look straight out of a movie.

So it did, which is what provoked my existential fade out moment. I let the noisy chatter in my ears drown out and watched the moving outlines of people muddle with the warm glow of the string lights draped across the apartment. Maybe I started whispering a holiday jingle or maybe it was playing on the stereo, but I could almost feel the impulse to jump and scream that I just mentally perfected a shot in a potential Christmas movie.

You may think I'm weird, and I am.

Some of you may also think I'm normal, and I am. Solidarity, sisters.

I was so off the deep end that I didn't realize the weight pulling down on the seat next to mine. An arm draped over my shoulder when I noticed Lewis yawning.

Jamie had personally sat down the siblings and convinced them to stay through winter break. It worked out because Mama and Papa Turner couldn't make it back to Battersea anyway, so Jake and I would fly to the UK with Lewis and Chloe on the day of New Year's.

This, however, was a late event so Jamie was being babysat at home. Mom and Martha were also attending and probably relishing the endless spread in the kitchen. I only caught glimpses of Nate and he seemed to keep his distance from all his friends, which is how I know this must be hard on him. Luckily, his parents were here and they were good parents, just not very present parents.

"Tired?" I inspected, taking note of the bags underneath Lew's eyes.

"Exhausted," he replied promptly.

"Long day?" I asked frivolously.

"Long week. Mr. ADHD over there decided to go Frozone on Chloe, without the slightest explanation. I think they had a fight but neither of them is confessing to anything. But, dear Lord, the sobbing has got to stop!" he grudgingly landed a punch into one of the cushions.

"That's the only reason why I'm over here and not blissfully binging Westworld in my apartment," he added in resignation.

I sat up straight, having not known this information first hand from Nate. I understand why this was so hard for the both of them – Chloe was Nate's security blanket after Nicole and he was hers after Collin.

But this was so unlike the Nathaniel I knew.

He probably just needed to clear his head before he faced her. Jake had his glass of booze attached to his palm like an external limb since the party had started. Everyone bore smiles on their faces but no one looked truly happy. I couldn't even spot Chloe, which makes sense if Nate was giving her the cold shoulder.