Chapter Twenty: Did Somebody Vote For A Do-Over?

A/N: Hi there, amazing readers!

I cannot possibly fathom how the book keeps growing by 1K reads every week and its all thanks to you!! So much love and gratitude for taking TED up to #318 on Teen Fiction this week! <3 I will strive to keep making you smile, one chapter at a time.

Make sure to FOLLOW ME to receive news about the latest updates and whatnot!

Happy Reading x

I emptied out the mailbox, flapped the welcome mat and searched for loose wooden boards on my porch for the third time around.

Nope, no sign of a key.

I was hoping that mom might have forgotten to remove the spare one but that was mostly because of my gross underestimation of the responsibilities that accompanied adulthood. More avoidance than negligence, but you get the point.

I surrender.

At this point, I must admit that I regretted not taking Lewis up on his offer to drive me home. Lugging my two suitcases, one carry-on and several other loose items with my two hands, I cursed for not having enough functional limbs as I made my way to the next door. A blue that contrasted our red.

I could hear commotion from inside so that was good sign, to know someone was home. On the second doorbell ring, the wood creaked open and I heard Jake's words trail off, "I don't know, Ma. She hasn't called me back yet...." as he look at me.

"Hi?" I said grimly.

"Hi," he said right back.

"Surprise?" I waved my hands in the air weakly.

"You know how much I love surprises," he remarked endearingly, pulling me into a quick hug. "Especially when they come in little Smelly Melly-sized packages," he added cheekily as I thwacked his arm playfully.

"Who's at the door?" I saw Mrs. Smith, now former, sneer as she came in from the dining area to the living room, until her eyes spotted me at the doorway.

"Oh Mel, sweetie. I was just asking Jake about you and when you were coming back!" she squealed in near delight. "It felt weird not having you around to taste my feeble attempts at cooking for the holiday."

It was usually Jake's dad and I who used to hog the entire kitchen island, dipping our assigned tablespoons into various pots and pans that were laid out for viewing and if not visibly appalling, occasional tasting. I realize this time of the year must be harder for them, because I spent years trying to forget how abysmal our household had briefly gotten when dad first left us.

"Yeah, I caught an earlier flight back because I missed being here so much!" I enthused, giving her a hug as well.

"But Mom and JimJam aren't back yet?" Jake retorted curiously.

"Astute observation, Jakey. Good to know your mental capacities have retained well through my absence," I half-joked.

Turning to his mom, I relayed, "Mom and the little one aren't back till late Sunday evening, Martha. Do you mind if I just sleep on the couch till then?"

"That's ridiculous," She admonished and Jake nodded willingly. A slight sense of panic began to seep into me because I was already wildly imaging being mugged and kidnapped as I struggled to keep up with the street life. Martha never objected to me staying over before!

"Jake will take the couch," she finished proudly and I saw Jake's face visibly fall.

"But Mom–" he whined but she redirected her focus to my luggage that I dropped lazily behind me.