Information Overload

Start from the beginning

Sammy cracked a grin and stood up. "You're good at this," she pointed out and chuckled, "please don't tell Sofi I came to you?"

"Lips are sealed." I grinned. Sammy left and went across the hall to Sofi's room, shutting the door behind her. I shook my head and laughed to myself.

"What's so funny?" My mom peered around the corner with an amused look on her face. She had a handful of laundry in her arms and plopped them on my dresser.

"Mom, I told you I'd do my own laundry," I smiled softly but thanked her. She stood there looking at me and I remembered she had asked me a question. "Nothing, just Sammy being Sammy."

Mom smiled and nodded. "So," she clapped her hands together once before rubbing them together, "I noticed you didn't come home last night."

"Oh," I smiled sheepishly, "yea I meant to call you. I spent the night at the hut."

"The hut? Camila, it's cold out there!" My mom scolded lightly. "Why?"

"I wasn't alone?" I shrugged and began to put some the clothes in my dresser.

"Kyla? How'd she swing that one? Her parents never called me to confirm her sleeping over." Sinu frowned with a small smile. She knew exactly how Kyla's parents were so my mom would be cool and cover for us if we were heading out for a bit.

I started to think maybe my news about Lauren wouldn't really be that big of a deal with her. I was still nervous in telling her but I knew she deserved to know from me and not the gossip that'll be spreading along school the next. "Actually I was with Lauren."

My mom just nodded and grinned. "She's such a good girl," she sighed and patted my shoulder, "next to Kyla, she's been a really good influence on you, Mila."

I blushed and shrugged. "Yea well, we keep each other out of trouble." I bit my lip and slipped on a freshly washed jersey, following her out of my bedroom. "Mom? There's something I need to tell you..."

Sinu nodded and grabbed another handful of laundry and was slowly walking backwards to Sofi's room. "What is it honey?"

"Well," I stepped out of my room slowly and looked around the hallway, trying to think of how I was going to put it, "Lauren and I are-"

"Oh my God," my mom gasped as she opened Sofi's door and dropped the clothes on the floor, holding her hand over her mouth. I rushed to her side and witnessed Sofi scrambling off of Sammy's lap and quickly doing up the buttons on her shirt. "Sofi?"

"Mom!" Sofi shrieked.

"Oh wow," I breathed and closed my eyes, turning around briefly before turning back to watch the silent stare-fest going on between my mom and sister.

"Um," Sammy got up and cleared her throat, running her hands through her hair before grabbing her coat, "I should go," she breathed. When she walked past us, mom grabbed her wrist gently and Sammy swallowed nervously.

"Please, stay." Sinu's eyes softened a bit as she bent over to pick up the clothes she dropped. "Sofi," she sighed but smiled, "please leave the door open from now on?"

Sofi swallowed and nodded, looking down at her feet, blushing furiously.

"I'm really sorry Mrs. Cabello." Sammy stumbled and sat down on edge of the bed as my mom passed her to put the clothes on Sofi's dresser.

"Don't be sorry," my mom stopped and placed her hands on her hips, "I mean, I kind of wondered but I knew you'd come to me when you felt ready." She addressed Sofi and walked over to her, giving her a hug. "But we will talk later about all of this, okay?"