27-Junior

Chapter 27—Junior

Everything was quiet for a moment. I dropped my hand from my cheek, surprised.

   The minute after Duke had left, Liam and I had gotten into an argument about how I had treated Duke. And then he had left, telling me was going to go home and get dressed to meet him at the park later. I felt weird about the whole thing, so I texted my friends and told them to be on the look-out. When I got there, Liam was high, and Dante and Chris were on their way. Then Liam said something about hurting Duke, and he had hit me. By the time I had recovered to hit him back, I was being held back by Dante, and Chris had a grip on Liam.

   Duke had gone pale. “Excuse me?” he demanded, dropping his fist. He removed himself quickly from Liam, looking surprised.

   Liam pulled himself into a sitting position, looking pitiful with a broken nose and tears. “I did this because of you,” he stated, motioning towards me. “I knew she had hurt you, so I thought you’d like me more if I hurt her for you, since you couldn’t.” He wiped his face.

   Anger went through me. “Oh you bastard,” I growled, going to step back to him and finish what I had started. Honey and Rena put their arms in front of me. I took a deep breath and settled down.

  Duke looked confused. “You… like me?” he questioned, looking shocked. He took another unconscious step back.

  “Love you,” Liam corrected, standing up. His eyes were bright, burning with passion. “And after our conversation this morning, I knew you were hurting over her, so I thought I’d do all this for you.” He motioned towards me.

  I glared at him.

  Duke shook his head. “I don’t like boys, Liam.” His tone was patient and guarded.

   “That’s because you haven’t tried one before!” Liam took a step toward him, reaching for his hands. “Duke, I—I’ve been in love with you for years now. I was there for you when you had Laila. I’m the one the baby was for. I was going to go for my move when you found out, but she was fucking Junior’s brother, too, and you were too busy being mad at him to pay me any attention.”

  Duke just stared at him. “This. Will. Not. Work. Out. I am straight, Liam.”

  “You—you just haven’t met the right one,” he pleaded, grabbing Duke’s hands. “I’m willing to forgive you for hurting me, just please don’t… don’t do this to me.”

  Rena nudged me. “He’s crazy,” she whispered.

  I nodded.

  Duke yanked his hands back. “Don’t fucking touch me, Liam,” he growled.

   “No, no, no,” Liam cried, still reaching. “You can’t. Not after this time. Please. Give me a chance. I’m better than any girl you’ll ever have, Duke. I promise.”

   I felt kind of bad for him. He sounded like a kicked dog. I wanted to hug him…. But then I kind of wanted to bash his head into the ground at the same time.

   “I will not give you a fucking chance, Liam!” Duke yelled, stepping closer to him. “I told you I’m straight!”

   Honey shook her head, looking worried. “I know his brother—crazy runs in this family. I’m going call the cops before this gets way out of hand. I got a real bad feeling about this.” She nibbled on her bottom lip and went into the car.