15-Junior

Chapter 15—Junior

Duke obviously doesn’t need you anymore, I thought, albeit a bit jealously, as I watched him hold on to Laila. Apparently, she had heard and flew down here, completely distraught, and Duke hadn’t spoke to me in the last week. He had avoided me, looking guilty, and then when I heard Laila was back and staying with him, he looked angry, as if his mother’s suicide was my fault. As it was, he hadn’t phoned, and now, there he was, clutching Laila’s hand for dear life.

    I sucked it up. Oh well. Time to pay my respects and go back to my house.

    Kyle touched my shoulder. “Need support?” He nodded towards Duke and Laila.

    “Nope.” I was a big girl. A little jealousy wasn’t gonna stop me. Plus, as friends, I wanted the best for Duke. And if he thought Laila was the best, then, so be it.

     I hitched my shoulders in the air and threw my chest forward. Rena had curled spirals down my back and done my make-up flawlessly. I had settled for a black, long-sleeved dress, and a pair of white stilettos. I had gotten more than one look from the boys here. Duke’s cousins apparent. I looked good, and I knew it. I looked a lot better than a pregnant Laila, who looked thrown together in black pants and a black blazer that showed off that tiny pregnancy bump.

    She did have a pregnant glow, though, and it looked good on her.

    Duke eyed me when I came up to him, offering him nothing but a ‘sorry’ smile. “Sorry about your mama, Duke,” I said stiffly, reaching out and giving him a warm hug. His arms tightened around me for a moment, like he had to gather strength from me, and then it was over. He straightened up.

   “Thanks, Junior.” There it was. That pain laced in his voice. He wasn’t holding up as well as he wanted people to think he was. But he had Laila now. It wasn’t my problem anymore.

    I turned to Laila. “You look wonderful, what with that pregnant glow and all,” I complimented, giving her a genuine smile.

   She looked at me suspiciously. “Thanks.”

   “No biggie.” I turned away from them, then, only to be met by one of Duke’s cousins from his dad’s side. The boy was just as tall as Duke with chocolate brown skin. He gave me a smile that said he’d eat me up on the spot.

   “I heard you made those cookies,” he stated.

   I nodded, giving him a smile. “Sure did. Made’em with a secret recipe.”

    He lowered his head, giving me a crap-eating grin. “I got a secret recipe for you.” He winked.

    My face turned red, and I opened my mouth to respond, but Duke beat me to it. “Leave her alone, you perverted bastard,” he snapped, and the anger in his eyes was real. The boy disappeared, and I turned to Duke with a dark look. I didn’t need his protection.

    I stalked off with him calling my name in the background. Rena gave me a questioning look as I opened the front door and went outside.

    How dare he.

    I got into Kyle’s truck, wishing I had driven myself. Oh well. I could withstand the cold, as long as I was nowhere around Duke. The nerve of him, to sit there and send somebody off, as if I needed his protection. Hell, he hadn’t been near me all week, even looked angry at me—and now he had a new girl to spend his time with. Why did he feel the need to aggravate me?