07/Junior

Chapter 07—Junior

“Duke… Duke… down,” I growled, pushing him off of me. I swear, you make out with a boy one time, and suddenly he thinks just because you show up at his house after practice, you want to kiss him again. Nope. I refused. I was not about to compromise myself because he was a horn dog. A cute horn dog, but a horn dog nonetheless.

    He gave me a wolfish grin, wrapping me up in a hug. “Did you bring the stuff?” he asked, letting go and letting me in the house.

   I showed him the huge bag that carried five different kinds of cake mixes, eggs, vegetable oil, stuff for icing, and sprinkles. “Yep.” I handed him his receipt and change, but he pressed the two twenties back in my hands. “This is forty dollars, Duke.”

   He shrugged. “I’m aware. Forty to me is like ten dollars to some.”

   “Ten dollars is still a bit of money. It’s about two and a half gallons of gas.”

   “Don’t be a smart ass all your life, Junior.” He took the bag from me and sat it on the counter. “Alright, I’ll make the chocolate cake and vanilla cake… you can take the strawberry, carrot, and white.”

   I wrinkled my nose. “But I hate white cake,” I protested, switching the boxes so that I had chocolate instead of white.

   He moved it back. “I hate it also.”

   Again, I moved the chocolate cake over to me. “Then why did you buy it?” I asked, holding the cake mix in my hands and away from him.

   He tried to tug it away from me, but my grip was tight. “Because this cake isn’t for me. It’s for some people.”

   “What people?” I asked, pulling it behind my back and hiding it from him.

   “Wouldn’t you like to know.”

   I rolled my eyes. “I would like to know. That’s why I asked, stupid.”

   “Your insults wound me, Junior.” He left me alone about the cake mix, sliding the white cake mix back his way.

    I smiled in victory. He turned to one of the drawers and pulled out three mixers and some cake pans. “So, who are these cakes for?” I asked, knowing full and well he hadn’t called me over here to help make cakes because he wanted to see me. Also, they just weren’t for him.

   “You’ll see,” he responded vaguely.

   Whatever. I didn’t push him. If he wanted to be secretive, that was all up to him., Honestly, after I made these cakes and cookies, I would be heading home. I needed to get a good nap in. And prepare myself for Crank and his SuperBitch girlfriend. Maybe I could make her a shirt with the letters ‘SB’ on it. Tell her it stood for super bad or something like that, make her think it was something I made out of love for her. As if. The only way I loved her was when she was far, far, far away from my brother.

    Smirking, I cracked some eggs into a bowl of my strawberry cake mix. I pretended each egg was her head. While I was super excited to see my brother after a few months, I was disappointed he would be bringing her. I wasn’t quite looking forward to this weekend actually.

    Duke handed me a cup of water. I poured it into the cake, and then the vegetable oil.  I grabbed a mixer and let the familiar sound of kitchen comfort me. I loved to bake, cook, fry, dip, and whatever. If it had ingredients, I’d probably like it. I didn’t cook for me, I cooked because I liked the satisfaction I received from feeding others.