10-Duke

Chapter 10—Duke

“On a scale of 1 to Sharkiesha, how fuckin’ bad do you want me to hit you?” I asked Kyle as I stepped downstairs, my head pounding. The fact that I found him staring into the eyes of my girl, leaning close like he was about to kiss her hadn’t helped. Throw in the fact that she he told her that she was apparently the girl of his dreams pissed me off to no end.

    Junior snorted quietly. Yeah, that bitch would. Laughing like she isn’t about to go off and kiss my best friend. After making out with some big ass football player last night. Maybe she had a thing for white boys, and I was way too mixed for her.

   Kyle gave me a look. “Depends on how hard you wanna get hit back.”

   I could kick my best friend’s ass. And he knew that. Fists clenched, I stepped into the living room. “Kyle—“

   Junior held a hand up. “If y’all are gonna fight, let me know so I can post them on youtube and become famous from it. I think this face as Youtube famous potential, don’t you?”

   I gave her a look. Her face did have famous potential. Junior was cute, the kind of girl that made you want to protect her, and then throw her down on a bed and do whatever and whenever to her. “Now is not the time, Junior,” I warned.

    “It’s always time to tell me I’m pretty, Duke,” she replied, smirking and leaning back against the couch. She tucked her feet underneath her body and looked comfortable as she watched us. “Kyle’s already beat you to the punch.” She gave him a flirty smile.

    That’s when it hit me. She was trying to make me jealous. It was working, too. To see her with another guy, and now Kyle…. I wasn’t too happy. But two could play at that game. “Many girls beat you to the punch last night,” I said, turning down my jealous tone.

    “Good. I didn’t like that punch anyway.” She looked calm and collected, her tone ready to take on anything I handed to her.

      I was too hungover to even fight back with her. Shit, I thought over a pounding headache, think of something witty. “How do you know you don’t like somethin’ you’ve never had before?”

    “I only need a small sip to know if somethin’ is to my likin’ or not.” Her smirk became more pronounced.

     Dammit. I was at a loss for something to say, so I left her to herself and turned to Kyle. “She’s mines. You would do good to remember that.” I left the threat in the air.

     Junior coughed. “Last time I checked, I belonged to God. Y’all both would do good to remember that.” She stood up. “I gotta go. I wanted to chill, but the testosterone in this room is smotherin’ me.”

    Nope. Junior could not go. Not looking like she did, pretty and simple wearing my sweatshirt. And I could smell the faint scent of soap on her, and the distinct smell of Junior, which reminded me of sunshine and laughs. “I’ll be good,” I told her. “I promise.”

    She gave me a doubtful look. “Uh-huh.” She remained standing, though, watching me with those beautiful eyes.

    I walked over to her, grabbing her chin in my hands and giving her a look I had practiced on many girls before. “I promise, Junior.” I even gave my voice that husky, sexy tone that never failed to make girls swoon.

   Except Junior just blinked her eyes and looked angry. “Doubt it. I’m out. When you two settle whatever problem you’re havin’ with each other—because don’t think for a minute I’m fooled into thinkin’ this is about me—I’ll be at the mall. Later.” She walked out of the door without a backwards glance.