19-Junior

Chapter 19—Junior

I frowned. “Again, why are we up so early?” I half-snarled over a cup of steaming hot chocolate. I was dressed down in sweatpants and a hoodie. It was freezing for late October in Louisiana. Usually I was still in shorts by this point. “You two realize we went to bed at four this mornin’, correct?”

    It was eight o’clock, and both Honey and Rena had arrived at my house about twenty minutes ago, dresses in hand. The plan was to get ready at my house since I had the biggest room, best lightening for make-up and all that, and the boys lived closest to me. Plus, I had the most hair stuff, despite not using not even half of it. And the most make-up. My base and concealer might be a few shades off, but my eye-shadow, eye make-up in general, lipstick, and everything else could work perfectly.

   Honey was sitting in front of me, nursing a red bull and looking bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. Rena was upchucking in the bathroom, saying she ate some bad sushi last night, and that she’d be fine this afternoon. I didn’t question it. My mind was too fuzzy from not enough sleep anyway.

   I took a sip, waiting on an answer. I heard my toilet flush, my water run, and Rena came out of my bathroom, her cheeks pale. “Uh, I feel horrible.” She placed a hand across her stomach, laying down on my bed.

   “Told ya to lay off the sushi,” I said, my voice a little snarky. I was grumpy. Rena waved off my comment and tone of voice—she knew me well enough to know I didn’t really mean it. I worked on softening my voice. “Soooo…. Y’all gonna answer me or not? Why am I up so early? Newsflash, we need to be out at five. It’ll only take us three hours to get read, tops.”

    Honey sighed, running her hands through her hair. “Okay, okay, Miss Impatient. Look what I got.” She held up three gift cards.

   I frowned. “Yay. Gift cards. Whoo.”

  She narrowed her eyes. “They’re gift cards to Cello’s,” she said, grinning. “You know, the expensive spa about thirty minutes away? My parents got them for us because they’re happy I found some friends that don’t have tattoos, babies, or multiple piercings.”

    Oh. Well that was nice. At the word ‘spa’ Rena had perked up. She had a little color to her cheeks now. “Sweet! When do we leave? I can use a pedicure. My feet have been hurting. And my nails are atrocious.”

   “We can leave as soon as Junior stops lookin’ at me like I ran over her dog.”

    I gave her a smile, taking a sip of my hot chocolate. It burned my tongue, but I stood up. “Fine. But if we’re gonna be up for the rest of the day, I’m gonna need one of those.” I motioned to her Red Bull.

    Honey gave me a look. “After what coffee did to you, I don’t think so. You’re limited to hot chocolate, ma’am.”

    I groaned. “Fine. Have it your way. But when I fall asleep grindin’ on Dante—“

    “I’ll make sure to cover you up with a fabulous coat that brings out your make-up,” she finished, grabbing her purse. “You alright in there, Rey?”

       Rena nodded, standing, but the color was returning to her cheeks, so I wasn’t too worried. “The thought of sushi disgusts me right now.” A little grin spread across her face. “But I am craving something greasy.... like a burger. Do they sell those for breakfasts?”

    I rolled my eyes. “We better go before I pour hot chocolate on you. It’s eight dang thirty in the mornin’ and you want a burger?” I looked at the sky, shaking my head. My ponytail brushed my cheeks. “Lord, give me peace of mind to deal with these girls before I have to use a piece of steel to deal with’em.”